Brushing teeth before playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NeonMarmot, May 1, 2011.

1. NeonMarmot

NeonMarmot New Friend

Sep 25, 2010
    How important is it to brush your teeth before playing? I frequently see advice to brush everytime before you play.

I generally have 3-5 times during the day when I sit down and play for 20-30 minutes, if I brushed my teeth before each of these I feel like I'd drive myself crazy...

I brush and floss once in the morning and once at night. Isn't that enough?

Would like to hear your guys thoughts on this.

2. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Brushing everytime you are about to play is a bit overkill. If you ate before you played, a rinse or quick brush might benefit you, however; as long as you properly clean your horn on a regular basis not brushing before a quick playing session isn't going to necessarily hurt it.

3. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    yeah I ussally practice right after I eat dinner so it feels weird to still play with fresh food in your mouth so I just started brushing any way.

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I brush before I play, but i'm crazy like that, and only do 2 sessions a day so it works out nicely

5. sach7581

sach7581 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    I don't eat before I play and don't brush. I worry that my mouth will get dry if I brush before I play. It has happened but might be coincidence.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    :oops:Do you like the smell of minty toothpaste, or rotting particles of pizza in the horn.:oops:

I think brushing after meals and before you play is sensible; this does not equate to brushing before you play every time. You will wear the enamel off your teeth with too much brushing.

Ensure oral hygiene standards for playing. Same rules as sharing mouthpieces without cleaning = colds and germs. So your horn develops your smells.

Ever Tried playing someone else's horn and have a bad taste, such as a smokers horn. The smell becomes individual, and cleaning and maintenance = reliability.

Sorry for the long story; in short brush your teeth after eating or consumption of food to maintain oral hygiene, and clean your horn and mouthpiece regularly. That should be enough.

Cheers

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If I had some coffee or soda I will definitely drink water and rinse out my mouth.
    The other way sounds like way too much brushing

8. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Brushing is fine, as is rinsing, before playing. The key is to remove particles of food from the mouth that might lodge in the horn, and create a problem. The key is to rinse after brushing, as toothpaste consist of diatoms that would act as a lapping compound on the pistons and cause undo wear.

9. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The most important things are to keep your mouthpiece and leadpipe clean. Use a mouthpiece brush at least once every two days and swab your leadpipe at least every three days.
    Brushing and rinsing are great, but you still have to keep that mouthpiece and leadpipe spotless.
    Reeves makes an excellent leadpipe swab and it is available in many locations.
    R. Tomasek

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Brush, rinse, swab and you'll be okay.:thumbsup: