Brushing teeth before playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NeonMarmot, May 1, 2011.

1. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    That seemed a bit extreme :shock: until I read the second part...

ROFL

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In answering your questions:

How important is it to brush your teeth before playing?
    This is very important for toothpaste manufacturers. This is how they suck the money out of the low percentage of profits we already try to hold on to for gigs. And with gas prices, have you seen them lately?

Actually before I can answer the question, a more specific question I have is what is your understanding that brushing does for you? If you can provide an outcome you expect from this behavior, I can best answer this question.

I brush and floss once in the morning and once at night. Isn't that enough?
    Once again, not knowing your outcome, I can answer for good dental hygiene, Brushing and flossing once in the morning and at night should keep you in excellent dental health, albeit, I believe most dentists recommend flossing after each meal. This behavior keeps the deposits between the teeth in check.

If you are asking this question related to holding mouth bacteria in check, you could brush every hour on the hour and not achieve a reasonable result, but your teeth WILL SPARKLE and my brother the dentist would be proud of you.

In reading the advice that precedes this post, I cannot disagree that brushing before playing will keep the food out of the horn, and this is important for basic horn hygiene. A good swish and swallow (especially with a good gin) will help rid of food particles and maybe wipe out a few bacteria or two if the gin is added. Unfortunately, a lot of bacteria will remain.

Hope my comments are more on track with the outcomes you had expected from your post.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    One of the main sources of trumpet wear are deposits from what you ate. The fine particles (aerosols) collect in certain parts of the horn and wear valves, rot metal and smell bad. It is important that you clean your teeth after eating - not necessarily additionally before playing. Rinsing is often enough to clean out the lions share of gunk.

4. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    A good rinse with listerine works for me. I take a toothbrush along just in case, though.

5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Here is something that works for me—
    I have found that brushing AFTER practicing has great benefits also. The action of the tooth brush on the inside of the lip and the minty elements of the tooth paste help the lip recover more quickly. Try it.

6. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    I like to brush and/or rinse w/ Listerine before I play, but if I'm only going to pick up the horn for a very short break while working, I may not do either;but, I will rinse my mouth out with water thoroughly before playing. I also carry a small bottle of Listerine in my car in case I want to rinse at a gig.

7. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    Just make sure that the Snickers Bar and fried chicken particles are all gone before playing that beautiful Baby.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    people get dirty horns -- mine stays relatively clean -- and not because I wash it all the time -- just don't eat for an hour or so before playing, NO sugar drinks, and just brush your teeth anyhow.