Bubble Mute vs. Harmon Mute

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by BurningHills, Apr 3, 2012.

1. BurningHills

BurningHills Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    Is there a significant difference between the JoRal Bubble mutes and Harmon Mutes, or are they basically different takes on the same idea?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The Harmon mute sounds like a Harmon, and the bubble mute doesn't. The bubble plays easier/better than a Harmon, though.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    In our band,we need the same sound, so we all use Harmon mutes.

4. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Concur with all the above. If you want that true Harmon sound...the bubble mute will disappoint you.

5. BurningHills

BurningHills Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    Hmm, any way to describe the difference? I have an unbranded vintage harmon style mute that came with my 1940 King Master cornet. I like the sound just fine, but I have seen a copper bubble mute or two on ebay that have caught my interest.

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    bubble dents easier too!

7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Aluminium bubble mutes produce an edgier, more cutting sound. They're quite common in my neck of the woods, but I rarely play in a band in which all the harmon-type mutes match. I myself am a hold-out -- I prefer the response I get from my Tom Crown copper harmon.

There are frequently a few copper bubbles in the sections I play with, as well. Those things are *massive,* and they make your horn quite nose-heavy.

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Go ahead and grab one.

If you ever work in a small combo or do solo stuff the copper bubble might be what you're looking for. I picked one up in the forum a while back and I really like the sound (particularly when i throw a few cotton balls in it).

I also have a regular Harmon that I use when playing with big bands so I can blend better (like Chuck).

9. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    The new Humes and Berg Bubble sounds massive! I use it in big band also and it works fine. Also it costs much less than the ridiculously overpriced Jo Ral equivalent.