buddy bolden

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by davidjohnson, Mar 4, 2005.

1. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    did this ancient king of jazz cornet make any recordings?

dj

2. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    There is a legend that Thomas Edison recorded him and that a single Edison cylinder exists (or existed) of Bolden. However, no one has ever found it. It has become the "Holy Grail" of jazz record collectors.

Which way to the Castle Anthrax? I dig Zoot!

3. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    ahhh...questing time!! but first, stout ale and comely wenches!!!
    roast me some wildgame there, trollop...& oil me valves. dip mine axe into yon flaggon of dark brew!!!
    so, old wizard edison locked up the treasure. i knew he saved the best for himself....the vile wretch!!!
    are there brave souls...souls who fear not the alternate fingerings that shall quest with me?? first we rush the brewery at midinght tonight...then off to edison's treasure den.
    beware, we face many man hungry strumpets. strumpets who have never been properly taught their etudes d'amor.

dj

4. NickD

NickD Forte User

Well, according to the sources used by Ken Burns, he was never recorded. Also, when PBS was airing the Jazz series, some folks on TPIN took exception with Wynton's "familiarity" with Bolden's style as Wyton couldn't have heard him play.

So, I would have to go with the notion that Bolden never was recorded. Too, bad. Quite a legend there.

Peace.

Nick Drozdoff

5. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    nick:

prepare to drink thy valve oil when i bring back the 'golden bolden' edison cylinder! wait...i don't have one of those old cylinder players...hey...neither does anyone else...

dj

6. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    It is also said that Buddy Bolden could play so loud that he could be heard clear across the Mississippi River. (he played cornet) That's one amazing sound!
    I too heard that there was one BRIEF recording of him that has never been found. This will be something that will be debated forever.