BUESCHER - Aristocrat versus Custom-Built versus 400

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Tarh331_Dad, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Claude Gnocchi

Claude Gnocchi Mezzo Forte User

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    Probably, but since I have dozens of trumpet parts in my studio, I don't really know. The interesting part is that I tried that one against the correct part; and this one just sounded better......go figure! I'm having a blast doing these...and as long as the original horn improves, I really don't care about "authenticity." These horns are great, but they are not "collector's item," just plain great trumpets.

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Again, just curious. If it plays better and it fits, go for it!

I find a horn can play better when the slides are tight... and then you grease them so they're tighter!

Tom

3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    From the water key, it looks like a late '50s Olds Ambassador slide.

4. Claude Gnocchi

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    ...could very well be from an Ambassador, as I have had 4 or 5 of them that I later cannibalized for parts......

5. Claude Gnocchi

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    BUESCHER 205.jpg BUESCHER-205-Bell.jpg

Here is another fine Buescher creation of mine: Vintage Buescher 205 w/Holton Lewellyn pipe and a Japanese Zen-On, Tanabe bell. Trent Austin ACB #5 mouthpiece. Sounds real good & dark.......

6. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    Even in the 1960 era we did not have a concept of pro horns vs. beginner horns. We were perhaps as ignorant as the gravel in a drive way but we expected the player to provide all of the quality. It tended to be one of the self fulfilling kinds of nonsense as the kids that played the best were the ones who spent more time with their horns and the kid's parents tended to respond by buying more expensive horns for him as music seemed to rule the kid's every waking moment. So the divide between the best in a brass section and the worst player in the brass section grew wider and wider. One of my fellow players actually got a Ph.D in music and frankly was the worst brass player in out 100 piece school band. I don't think he ever learned to sound half way good.

7. Claude Gnocchi

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    Very true...the worst two trumpet players I knew when I was just trying to get some trumpet-playing techniques in conservatory, were the two "trumpet professors" there.....very mediocre trumpet players, but since they had music PHDs, they were "qualified." It was a joke, as most of the students could play a horn much better than them.......sad!

8. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Maybe, but would you rather take a lesson from Maurice Andre [substitute your favorite ex-player here] on his deathbed, or the best kid in your band?

The student should excel his teacher. Some teachers make this easier than others...

9. Claude Gnocchi

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    True, in general, but if the "teacher" is a mediocre player, how or why would I want to emulate him? Imagine Wynton or Rafael Mendez teaching students....no one would excel them......

10. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    I guess my point is that it can be more complicated than that. It might be easier to make comparisons for things like a dance instructor, where an older performer simply can't do it like they used to. (We are mighty fortunate in this, there's no particular upper limit for us.) "Why would I want to learn from him, he can barely get around with that cane he has?" The point there, I hope, is obvious.

The teacher/student relationship is more complex than just churning out exact copies of the teacher. The student has more responsibility than that. Even if the teacher just isn't that good, does that mean you can't learn anything? Is that your excuse, Mr. Wanna-set-the-world-on-fire? Better not let it be! :-)

I guess I have two more random points. 1) Teaching is its own thing, and a really good teacher could still be of great benefit to you, if you were receptive, even if his own playing ability was not so great. His listening ability is more important than his own playing ability. As, in a way, is yours. 2) In US public schools at least, the paperwork is overly highly valued. Maurice Andre in fact could not get a job as a trumpet instructor in any publicly-funded school in the US, as I understand it. He did not have the correct educational background. I.e., paperwork. Stupid, but there it is. (I'm not sure that an honorary degree would qualify, though he would probably not have had any difficulty landing himself some of these.)