buffet trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    so today i tried one of my freinds trumpets which i thought was just some off brand trumpet, but after i played it, in which it slotted better and gave me a better tone then my friends strad, he told me it was made by the same peoplewho made buffet clarinets, considering that he was a switch over clarnetist...
    does any body know what this brand is called so i can look into it?

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Buffet never actually made brass instruments. In the Mid 80's through the 90's Buffet was owned by Boosey and Hawkes, a British company. They also owned the F. Besson name and contracted with Zig Kanstul to build some fine brass instruments under the the F. Besson name. The standard weight ML Meha model was designed to go up against the Bach ML 37. The .464" Brevette (much like a Benge MLP) and .470 large bore Meha were lighter weight horns, more suitable for commercial playing.

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    To all the people who think all chinese or off brand horns are crap. I'm playing on Cesilio trumpet right now and I love it. The scale is perfect the it has great intonation abilities. Frankly I'm glad I bought it instead of spends loads of money on a horn that gives the same performance

4. sleepingdancer

sleepingdancer New Friend

Jan 11, 2009
    Budapest, Hungary
    I think Buffet-Crampon did make trumpets or had trumpets made under its name. i have seen photos of buffet-crampon trumpets. They look beatiuful a bit like Selmer paris trumpets, but are balanced models. i almost bought one on ebay.

5. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    All I know is that they used to be owned by Boosey and Hawkes which made trumpets, but they are vintage horns...:-)

6. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    ahh found it it is called a "besson"... sweet.

7. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    wait... i just looked at their site and they dont have any trumpets up
    what the heck...

8. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If it is a Besson, you got a hold of a nice insturment. I picked up a "Werner" off brand trumpet at a yard sale that was brand new and still had the plastic cover on it. Took it home and gave it a good cleaning and it plays great. I was surprised. I have seen them on eBay and alway thought they were junk. But you have to be careful. I would not pay over $25 for an off brand instrument. Especially stay away from the Walmart brands!

9. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    The early Buffet Crampon trumpets were most likely made by Courtois.

10. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan