Buffy the engraving slayer!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tobylou8, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Those guys are good at painting lipstick on a pig. Of course, the Ambassador IS a professional-level trumpet...

[​IMG]

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Maybe they are bringing some real beaters back to life

5. True Tone

True Tone Piano User

Aug 16, 2015
    Alabama
    How would that require buffing, though?
    In the cases of the ones in this thread, they have the old style of lacquer. (Nitrocellulose based, right?)

6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Lots of surface pitting!

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    You know, I'm not seeing the real sin here. Sure it lowers the value to completely wipe out the manufactures engraving on a horn, but maybe it looks greatly improved from what it started out to be. And, Clark, that Ambassador looks pretty cool to me....I'm kind of reminded of some car clubs that delight in heavily tricked out low riders. The description clearly states "customized" and it was not a particularly rare and collectible model. I'm not disagreeing with you all to be contrary, I can see your point, I'm just sayin I like to be an individual and a personalized horn is a great asset to have in any band....It's sure to be a conversation starter. Best wishes.

8. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    It's not that the ambassador doesn't look cool, it's just that they took a student priced horn, and put a bunch of fancy stuff on it. The problem is that at the end of the day people are still only going to spend student horn money on it. Nobody is going to buy an ambassador for $1,200, because they could find a very nice super or even a reccording for the same money, which at the end of the day no matter how many flashy things they put on it will still be better than the ambassador.

9. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    He now has nothing for sale. Have you upset him?

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Clark. You are right. Maybe it's a stretch for that horn at that price. I'm trying to point out that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there is bound to be someone who is an Ambassador fan who takes issue with the "student" label and loves the look of that custom look. So it's not you and it's not me, but the internet is full of variety. I think that trumpet could sell to someone who wants something unique. Someone who makes a point of being outside of the normal boundry. Best wishes.