bugle adviice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BUGLEMAN, Sep 10, 2012.

1. BUGLEMAN

BUGLEMAN New Friend

Sep 7, 2012
    I have bought myself a Bb bugle and it came with a 7C mouthpiece. My problem is that i cannot seem to pitch any note above middle C.
    For the last three years i have not played a brass instrument but I used to play a Bb Baritone for the last 20 years before that.
    I cannot get use to blowing through such a small mouthpiece. Is this something i am just going to have to get used to, or is there a larger mouthpiece i could use.
    Any comments on this subject would be welcome.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You could try a larger mouthpiece, like a 1C or 1-1/4C.

3. BUGLEMAN

BUGLEMAN New Friend

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks for your advice. I will try a 1C and see how i get on with it.

4. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    What Dale says is about the biggest standard mouthpiece, so if that's to small, get used to it. I had problems getting used to a baritone mouthpiece, but I got used to it, just don't overdo it.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    About the largest trumpet mouthpiece is the Schilke 24, but finding one may be difficult. The Bach 1 is also huge, so if you want one at the limit, one of these will do.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While I can make do with a 7C, they are not comfortable due to their bite. Too, I can make do with a 12C on my euphonium, but prefer a 6 1/2 AL (these are also used on Bb baritones and tenor trombones). I sound Taps with my Bb trumpet and also my G U.S. regulation bugle with a Kelly 5C. For some music (mostly ballads) I also like a Bach 1 1/2 B with a Bb trumpet.