Bugle before and after

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Jan 3, 2014.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I promised I'd show off. I finally got some polish for Christmas and polished my bugle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it's beautiful. (I've also been playing Reveille lately- to get the kids out of bed.)

2. geetarman

geetarman New Friend

Dec 28, 2013
    Ha! Ive been playing it to get the kid in the tub. Now she won't go in if I don't play it!!

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I almost got killed playing it once. that thing about letting sleeping dogs lie, goes for wives, too:roll::lol::oops:

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It looks good now. There are lots of bugle tunes that are fun to play.

Is that a Rexcraft, US Regulation Bugle? Maybe a Conn? What is the story/history of it? How did you end up playing Bugle?

Good hootin' on it.

5. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    It's a rexcraft. I bought it from ebay for my son, who has been offered a reward for earning the boy scout bugling merit badge, except at this time, I play it more than he does. I got myself all signed up to be a bugling merit badge councilor, except it's apparently not a popular merit badge.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Go Girl! Lead by example.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Nice polishing job! I have a bugle (technically a field trumpet) just like that. It's standing on top of a bookcase in the den acquiring a nice patina...

I was just learning to play cornet when I was in the scouts and didn't think I was good enough to try for the merit badge. Stupid me...

BTW, I see that Simichrome box in the corner of the pictures. :-)

8. geetarman

geetarman New Friend

Dec 28, 2013
    I was my scout troop bugler too. You can imagine the hit that was with the ladies lol

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The bugle Rexcraft marketed is a U.S. Regulation pitched in the key of G. Who actually manufactured them is a question. Mine was marketed by Slingerland, once renown drum makers, and was manufactured by Holton. Slingerland is now part of Conn-Selmer as is Holton. While Arlington National Cemetery buglers now use "field trumpets" pitched in Bb, it was one pitched in G that our military used throughout WWII and much of the Korean Conflict. I use to have a U.S. Regulation Official Boy Scout bugle and was designated our troop bugler. Of course, I was awarded the merit badge. What happened to that bugle, I don't know ... I may still have it somewhere in my clutter.

I can say I'd be looking at a divorce at least, if I woke my wife up with Revielle or any other song.