Bugle calls for practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Carolina_Jazzman, May 5, 2011.

1. Carolina_Jazzman

Carolina_Jazzman Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2011
    Being in the military for 11 years I'm pretty familier with most bugle calls. bugles are in the key of G, so I've found practicing these on trumpet is really helping my upper register. Anyone else here play any bugle calls?

2. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    While I surely do not know many bugle calls, but an instructor told me that Bugle calls are the perfect thing to get your chops back in shape after my 36 year layoff.

So I did them, it was all good.

TAPS, Reveille and the one they use at the Horse Races not sure its military in nature, where the main ones I used, mainly because they taxed me when I started and was familiar with the tunes.

:thumbsup:

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I do on occasion and it can be a humbling experience.

4. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    The horse race call is "Post" or something like that. I did the same during my first comeback 7 or 8 years ago. Now, I play taps for Bugles Across America as part of military funeral honors.

5. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    I've just started practicing bugle calls. Well "Taps" in particular.

6. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    The horse race or post bugle call is called "First Call" in the Army. It is actually played as a notice before formation call in the morning. I was at one Army post and they played it before reveille in the morning. That would be a tough one at 5:00am. Bugle calls are very good for building endurance and flexibility. I played bugle in the boy scouts and a little in the Army. They play everything on recordings now. I played a few special events for Officers and wives dinners. Our church had a Civil War era dress up party once. As part of the entertainment I played and explained all the bugle calls a soldier would encounter during the day. It was a lot of fun. I have wanted to join Bugles Across America, but my work schedule is just too hectic. Here is a link for Army bugle calls.
    http://bands.army.mil/music/bugle/reveille.asp
    Good Luck,
    Bobby

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes, occasionally -- well up to a high C is all -- it's not always easy - is it???

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've now 2 model 1862 field trumpets aka bugles in key of G, a Boy Scout and a Slingerland. Reviewing my threads you'll realize I cannot presently play any of my horns due to major medical and dental issues. Well, I've been cleared on the medical and by the end of May am on schedule to put the dental issue behind me also with a full upper denture. While I may not regain my prior capability on all my horns, my present goal is only to be able to sound a great rendition of TAPS by this Christmas on either cornet, trumpet or one of the aforesaid bugles. Even I believe the biggest advantage of bugle calls is lip muscle development / recovery.

9. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    There were 117 bugle calls when I did them. They do help a lot with tonguing and hearing the intervals. Chuck Cox, USCG Bugler 1976-1978.

10. Carolina_Jazzman

Carolina_Jazzman Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2011
    I had an awesome recording of a guy playing dixieland jazz on a bugle. His name was Bugling Sam something. It was really amazing, but I lost it and haven't been able to locate it again.