bugle protection (case)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, May 3, 2014.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    My ebay bugle came without a case. I made a cloth bag for it. The bugle sits on the bag and on the shelf because I play it throughout the day. (I have a lot of kids and a finished basement. Bugling is way funner and much more effective than yelling.) My son is his boy scout troop bugler and camping season has begun, so he's taking my bugle camping. I'm worried about it. What can I do to help protect my bugle?

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Cornet gig bag.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Perhaps a plumber would kindly provide you with 6 inch inside diameter by 16 inches long piece of PVC drain pipe and end plugs. Measurements taken from my Slingerland marketed U.S. Regulation Bugle pitched in G and manufactured by Frank Holton Company.

Mine is now kept in MTS Products, Elkhart, IN hard case made for short (shepherd's crook) cornet. It presently has been all shined up ready for deployment to sound Taps at Veteran's Memorial monument ceremony in nearby Conway NC and at 5:00 PM here in Jackson Cemetery to honor the 84 interred here. Hopefully, I'll be them 85th (and no time soon). No, at the Ceremony at the Veteran's memorial in front of the Northampton County Courthouse they'll again fake Taps with the recording played in the DOD ceremonial bugle.

Including my white spandex gloves, my total cash outlay was less than $75.00, and the case was FREE, given to me because it wouldn't fit the prior owner's regular cornet.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I keep mine in a used generic cornet case, a non-shepherds crook style one.

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    My Besson Bugle came in its own hard case. Maybe you can find one.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Just a shoulder strap. A bugler should be ready to play at all times. Gig bags look like they provide protection, but not a whole lot. Going camping with a hard case doesn't seem like the best of ideas. Should be able to pack in and out in one trip each way.