Bugle Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Frankie Prive, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Frankie Prive

Frankie Prive Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2010
    Mansfield UK
    As well as playing my Bb trumpet, I am in the process of improving my bugle playing.
    I've got a C bugle to which I've added a 7C MP which is about the same as the 11B4 MP on my trumpet and I seem to be making progress.
    However, as a bugle novice I have a couple of questions that I've not managed to find the answer to yet, so am hoping TM members may be able to help me.
    As with any brass instrument, I assume condensation builds up in the pipe, but as there's no water valve, how does this escape?
    When playing outdoors in cold conditions is it a problem or is it just blown through as vapour?
    Also, after playing is there any method of laying the instrument down to assist condensate removal.
    I was going to ask my trumpet teacher and first wanted to do some research of my own but I've not managed to find any answers yet.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Good question. I have a G Kanstul Bugle, but that came with a water key. I would guess, that if there is a water buildup, that it could be sent through the horn by either blowing it through or by turning the horn end over end to assist in getting the water out the bell. You might check with Jari Villanova or Tom Day from Bugles Across America or Jari at Taps150.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    That's it!!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If such is of great concern, I would propose you take your bugle to a tech and have a water key installed, not a difficult task for a competent tech. Otherwise turn bugle upside down and blow. The latter has always worked well enough for me.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Blow really hard and the water will vaporize.

Seriously, Ed has great advice. There is no need to suffer anymore. A waterkey is cheap and effective.

6. Frankie Prive

Frankie Prive Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2010
    Mansfield UK
    Many thanks, looks like a couple of turns plus a blow or two will be my next course of action.

7. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    I see that you are in the UK. Water build-up is not likely to be a problem. In practice, you are only likely to be playing a bugle out of doors with any precision on Armistice Sunday in November to play the Last Post and then the Reveille one minute later. Since the whole thing only lasts for a couple of minutes there is no problem with water,....just keep the mpc warm before you play and tuck the instrument under your arm during the one minute silence.

The 'LP & R' is now mostly carried out by cornet players both in military bands and for civvy ceremonies, and it does a better job. Bugles are best left to either the Light Division or the Royal Marines.

Note that the infantry bugle is in Bb (cavalry trumpet is in A, but you are not likely to be playing one of those).

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Some bugles have a tuning slide...if so, you can pull it to empty the horn. Otherwise, the 'round and 'round method works pretty well. As said earlier, you probably won't generate enough water to worry about when playing a few calls in the field. Mine has a water key, and I can't remember ever really needing to use it, other than during extended practice on various calls.

9. CalU65

CalU65 New Friend

May 14, 2012
    Cold weather is more a "response" problem than a condensation issue. When we had to do ceremonies in cold weather, I used to keep the mouthpiece in my glove until the last possible moment. A plastic mouthpiece also helps with heat transfer - Kelly Mouthpieces come in standard sizes that work very well

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Ditto.

Even on other horns, I do this. This includes my Getzen Eterna flugelhorn and my Carol pocket trumpet.