Bugler shortage....

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by PhatmonB6, May 22, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
  2. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Yes, it is true, especially in the areas where there are national cemetaries. Sign up with BAA and see what happens!

3. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Hello,

My fault I should have reworded my question a little better, as far as the tribute with all the brass for the fallen U.S. Military I do believe that.....what I cant believe is the shortage of buglers for Military funerals. :cry:

4. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    when our local guard unit left for iraq i played the national anthem at a ceremony. one of the sgts. who stayed behind asked if i would do taps if needed. after he took my phone number we both agreed that it would be great if he never called. our guys returned & i was never needed!!
    i had a former student who had married another former student in the group. that one would have really hurt...but i didn't happen!!

dj

5. kenandtati

kenandtati New Friend

Mar 24, 2005
    I am on the base honor guard and we support all of southern california. As far as I know we only have 5 members who can play the horn. Our honor guard team in over 60 people and we can only muster 5 horn players. I have done a few funerals, playing taps and actually being a pallbearer and firing party, and I can't stand listening to that ceremonial bugle. It has no heart and give a fake tone to a real honorable ceremony.

6. murph66

murph66 New Friend

May 16, 2005
    I was in the local NG Band for years and have performed taps numerous times. There is a section of a cemetary in Jackson that is owned by the Dutch Government. In it are buried a number of Dutch pilots that trained here in WW11. The American Legion usually has a memorial service at the site every year that is attended by a representative of the Dutch Government. The first time I was asked to play Taps there was the first Taps service in which I participated. As the wreath was laid and I started to play, I suddenly found microphones from each of the local TV stations thrust right in front of my bell and all cameras were right on me. I made it through, but I never had another service that seemed to have quite as much pressure, including one for an exLt Govenor that was also a general in the Air Guard that was killed in a private plane crash.

7. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I played for a funeral about a month ago, and then went to play taps at the graveside service. I have been doing this for years for FREE because I was never in the service and I think it is the very least I could do for our fallen servicemen. After the service I was told I could not do this anymore for free by one of our local funeral homes because a couple of the other local musicians are very upset with me for doing this gratis. I asked who and was told that they requested their names not be given to me,

I'll be able to play again in 11-weeks (following surgery recoup) and I think I'm going to run an advertisement in the paper offering to perform this service for our fallen heroes. My attitude is that as long as I can fit it in my schedule this is an honor for me to be allowed to be part of the service.

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Its admirable that you are doing this much needed service for free.

However, may I suggest that by doing so the other buglers, who may depend on the income, are losing 'marketshare', so to speak. I can see their point. If you wish to continue donating your service then how about you accept the payment that others are getting and then privately donate the money to a Veteran's organization of your choice. That way everyone's wishes are respected.

Just a thought,

Greg

9. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Greg, you don't get paid for doing funerals! BAA is all volunteer, and the military color guards/buglers get nothing extra for doing the funerals. It's an all volunteer service....

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Actually, yes, I do. Most times taps is played at a funeral the player is paid, since most times its American Legion or such. What BAA choses to do is their business. I am saying that volunteering is a wonderful thing as long as you don't negatively affect another person's source of income.

Greg