Bugles Across America

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by curdog, Apr 29, 2010.

1. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Frankly, we appear to be a society that thrives on "canned music" in entertainment, church, secular venues and other situations music is required. Seems like it goes from "birth to death" in our modern world.

It is shame that the electronic bugle is becoming commonplace and often the request for a "live" bugler appears to be an imposition to some....even funeral homes and veteran's organizations who say: "Why do we need a live bugler when the electronic bugle will work?" Some of you know from experience that electronic bugles aren't foolproof and sometimes can be absolutely useless.

However, we must all acknowledge that there are more funerals being conducted than "live buglers" available to do them. Funerals have to be done quickly and for the most part...."live buglars" aren't available for each funeral due to the volunteers having jobs and other commitments. but the funerals of veterans must go on in a timely manner.

When you all find the answers to the "live bugler" situtation please let us know?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    As a veteran who served honorably for my country I promise to not only roll over in my grave, but to come back and haunt anyone who has the temerity to desanctify my parting from this world by authorizing or using an electronic device of any kind in place of a live bugler. I earned this live bugler by my performance in combat and in subsequent service until retirement. I sincerely feel that I earned the services of a live bugler. I have provided this for my fallen brethren, and feel strongly that any person who served honorably for his/her country deserves the same.

OLDLOU>>

3. Officer235

Officer235 New Friend

Apr 25, 2010
    Latrobe, PA
    We have teenagers from schools playing as their schedules permit. If your parents support you go ahead join, and welcome. let us know how you do.
    Thank You!

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Old Lou,

And then you should insist in your burial plans with family and the funeral home that a "live bugler" must be a part of the service and not an "electronic bugler" or nothing at all. Then, you will have to be assured (no one can promise) that a "live bugler" will be available for your funeral.

I believe EVERY veteran deserves a "life bugler" to pay final tribute from one's country, but apparently is does not happen now. Apart from the DOD, is there any reason that you believe it does not happen with as there are many brass players out there and Bugles Across America members wanting to help. Are funeral directors notified of the resources available for "live buglers" in that most funerals are conducted within three days of a person's death. Some families have difficulty even finding a clergyman/clergywoman let alone a "live bugler" for the funeral service.

I agree with you Old Lou! What ideas do you have to see to it that EVERY veteran is honored with a "live" buglar, not the electronic kind?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    does anyone know if there is something simillar to this in Europe?

6. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I am only 17 but I wanted to honor those who have served. I signed up for Bugles Across America recently. I do not know when I'll be called but when I am, I will do my best to serve them Taps, very little to nothing compared to all that they've gone through to keep me safe at home.

7. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    It's about having a live person playing the final bugle call. A person who cares enough to honor our fallen vets. For those who perform this act, my heartfelt thanks.

I have at least two gigs next month, and should the need arise, I will play for my ailing father, a WWII Navy vet.

8. Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2007
    Florida
    I have been a member of Bugles Across America for a number of years now and I think the concept behind the organization is fantastic! There seems to be a problem however in actually making it work. I have tried a number of times to let them know that I am available for services but when I receive their emails it seems to be for a very limited area of our state catering only to official veteran's cemeteries. Unfortunately, that happens to be a 2 hour drive from where I live. I have yet to play taps for anyone through that organization.

Unfortunately, the greater number of deceased veterans are being interred in local cemeteries throughout the country and they(BAA) are not being contacted to supply the needed players. The times I have played taps for veterans locally I was contacted by a friend that runs a funeral home!

I did have the opportunity last spring to play at my dad's funeral (WWII vet). When we got to the cemetery, I brought my horn with me and approached the "bugler" (with a CD in it) to allow me to play. He was very gracious in relinquishing his post and allowing me to do so. It was very emotional for all and I was privileged to do so. The military personnel present were very complimentary afterward and truly appreciated a live rendition. If you ever get the opportunity to do it, take it! You'll never regret it!

Roland

9. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    My dad served 20 years in the Navy. There was a live bugler at his funeral. It was a very touching moment. I appreciate the service given by the bugler.

10. Harry Richardson

Harry Richardson New Friend

Jan 17, 2010
    I couldn't play at my Dad's funeral, but my old trumpet teacher did it for me. At the time, he also told me that the only funeral he couldn't play was his own father's also. There's no way I could have maintained the composure to play my horn.