bugles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Nov 21, 2014.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    Years ago, based on recommendation, I bought a Rexcraft bugle from ebay. I am really irritated with it. The intonation varies widely between notes and there's only so much lipping can do. The low note is a whole step flat! It's not commonly used in bugle calls, but it is in a few. Are there any other bugles that are known to have better intonation? (I'll be shopping ebay, if there is one.)

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Getzen and Kanstul both make excellent bugles.

3. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Besson make a tuneable bugle, as used by Her Majesty's Royal Marines.No better Buglers in the world. (Oh, and me).

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I have a Kanstul Bb field trumpet (commonly called a bugle). It's a very nice instrument.

5. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
  6. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    I'm about to ask something stupid. Protective headgear has been donned:

If you want to play a bugle, can't you just play a trumpet and not use the valves?

Or is the answer to this question, "Yes, but that invalidates my reason to buy this cool thing I just saw?" :-)

7. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    Oh, sure, you can play bugle calls on a trumpet, but it's not a bugle. I really hate spending money. I wish I'd been advised to buy something of a better quality in the beginning.

8. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    I third the Kanstul Field Trumpet... great horn for a good price, intonation is pretty well spot on. It's what I use.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Christineka, The Rexcraft brass U.S. Regulation bugle is pitched in G and to my knowledge there is NOT an official military or Boy Scout bugle call that cannot be played well on it. Such bugles were in use by the U.S. Military from WWII through the Korean Conflict. It's true that now Taps is sounded on Bb bugles at Arlington National Cemetery and a number of bugles pitched in a variety of keys with none, one or more valves are in usage by Drum and Bugle Corps.

10. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    As I stated before, the low note (written c) sounds a whole step flat. Call to quarters has a low c. It sounds like a written b flat. The interval is all wrong. Maybe, however I'm doing it wrong. I just can't figure out how to lip up a whole step. I suppose I could lube up the tuning slide and use it like a slide trumpet, pulling it out for all other notes and push it in for the low one.