bugles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    What mouthpiece are you using with the Rexcraft?

2. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    Trumpet. The rexcraft mouthpiece gives it a very airy tone.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    These are the 2 I'd consider. The Getzen and Kanstul are well-made, in-tune, and worth the money.

I have a Getzen Field Trumpet in Bb. It includes a G slide.

Mike

4. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    At the risk of embarrassing myself, because you will now know exactly how bad I am at playing, here's a video, which illustrates my problem with that low note. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9tCQCeFg9A

(I'm currently working on a project. I'm memorizing all 15 bugle calls required for the bugling merit badge and videoing them. I have 4 left.)

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I think this is a G bugle. If so, the low note your trying to play is a low concert G. Correct?

My son used a cheap eBay/Asian bugle to take camping in the Boy Scouts. It was also in G, and the low G and high G were both flat.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Christine, I'm off work today, so I dug out some field trumpets, a bugle, and a bunch of mouthpieces. I have a Rexcraft "U.S. Regulation" field trumpet, and it has exactly the same problem as yours. I tried various trumpet mouthpieces, a flugelhorn mouthpiece, and the crummy mouthpiece that comes with them, and that low note doesn't exist on that horn, no matter which mouthpiece is used.

I then tried the Kanstul field trumpet and the low note is in tune and clear as a bell. I also have one of those copper "Gunga Din" copies of a British bugle, and even it will play the low note fairly well. I suppose there's no fixing the Rexcraft, so your only alternatives are to play that call on a trumpet (or cornet or whatever), or buy a better field trumpet.

Well, there is one more option... You could buy one of those cheap Gunga Din bugles, stick a trumpet mouthpiece in it, and make do that way.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My current U.S. Regulation bugle was marketed by Slingerland (once a renown drum maker) and made by Holton. Rexcraft is also only a marketer, but who the manufacture is / was of theirs is unknown. Still, the brass Boy Scout one I once had as a Boy Scout 66 years ago, and it was a hand me down from my late brother, served me well enough to earn the bugling merit badge which by that time I had studied the trumpet for 5 years. For a time during WWII, the Boy Scouts also marketed a plastic bugle, which I have also played ... but never sounded like a good brass one. I too have a Brit copy made in India and another Brit as may be authentic and certainly is at least a 1/3 heavier than the Indian one.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually for not too much money you can fix the bugle. It would require a tech to cut off a section of pipe from the mouthpiece on and replace it with a real trumpet leadpipe. The response and intonation would improve greatly! Even if the tech took the leadpipe from a beater horn, it would most likely be fine. Those intonation issues are always on the first 12" of pipe or so.

9. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    Thank you! I am glad it's not just me.

Is this a viable solution? Would adding a trumpet lead pipe give me that note? If so, I will look into it as a possibility.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    On my baroque trumpets the leadpipe IS the difference between the note being there or not. It is the same issue even with trumpets -regardless of pitch, when the intonation sucks, the mouthpiece/leadpipe combo is always the problem.

The trumpet mouthpiece with a C cup is not as easy for petal tones as a more vee shaped cup.