bugles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Nov 21, 2014.

1. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Christineka,

The bugle is steeped in military tradition: I'd be tempted to contact the buglers from the (U.S.) Marine Band and ask them what they use

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    At Arlington National Cemetery the U.S. Marine bugler utilizes a valve less Bb field trumpet (bugle) the same as the buglers from the other services. What they use at various other posts is somewhat a mystery and may be a recording broadcast over the post P.A. system. Too, concluding the tattoo held on Friday evenings at the Commandant's HQ and residence in D.C. Taps is now also sounded on a valveless Bb field trumpet (bugle).

My question yet unanswered is what service provides a bugler for each ship at sea. Are they Navy or Marine? Or is such now also a recording?

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Army bugler at Arlington. Like Ed said, they use Bb field trumpets for the high-profile events.

[​IMG]

Here's my Kanstul...

[​IMG]

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    See the tapered leadpipe? I think that that would be the quickest and cheapest solution!

5. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    If you want to play bugle calls in tune, in G, take a Bb trumpet that doesn't have intonation problems, hold down the third valve, and have at it. You can certainly use that to check the intonation of your bugle. If you have intonation problems on both, you probably need to spend a little time working on breath support and other fundamentals in the lower register.

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Let me apologize right now, even before you read this. :sorry:
    Here goes: No matter what bugle you're getzen, you Kanstul be out of tune, I don't mean to be conn descending, just wanted to get this out there.

7. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I called the repair shop. Changing out the leadpipe costs $150 in labor and parts would be on top of that. I've found a Gunga Din for $30. I think I'll just go with that and save up for the kanstul.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cool enough. $150 means that they don't want to. That is fine if the Gunga Din is really better. You will solve this. You have that first trumpeter attitude!

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The Gunga Din Bugle takes a different mouthpiece, the trumpet mouthpiece should fit, but will give a different tone. I am sure it will work for you, I like the British Bugles - they have a definite sound of their own when played well.

I ended up with a Getzen for Taps, and a McQueens Bugle for Last Post etc. The Getzen takes the trumpet mouthpiece, but the M1855 British Duty Bugle really needs a Bugle Mouthpiece to get the right tone.

Enjoy, and maybe post again with a fresh Vid.

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I use an old Conn BI-222 trumpet mouthpiece in mine. It has a fairly deep, conical cup that matches the bugle pretty well. Of course, a real British bugle mouthpiece that fits would probably be better. Anything would be better than the mouthpiece that comes with the typical inexpensive Gunga Din bugle, though...:D