bugles

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes, agree with you Dale,
    I inadvertently bought a Besson Bugle - turned out to be one of those nasty Indians - a cookee cutter mouthpiece. The Bugle worked OK, but just could not get the right sound I wanted. I threw the mouthpiece into my fishing tackle box to use as a sinker - closer to the real value and purpose. The case was the best part of the deal.

The true British Bugle is quite heavy guage in weight, the copies are light-weight in comparison.

2. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    The bugle arrived today. I think it sounds nice with the mouthpiece that came with it. I need to find my polish, so I can shin up this new bugle.

Okay, now that I've played it a bit, I do think a different mouthpiece would be better. I'll look into those suggested.

Here's my "I've been playing this thing for an hour" video. (I had previously only ever played bugle calls in G.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg67EV_lWDs&feature=youtu.be

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah! That works! I agree a deeper Vee cup mouthpiece would be a bit more traditional in sound, but breakfast call does not have to be in professional Symphony Orchestra quality.

What do you use to get them to turn their stereos down?

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Looks like that one has the low note built in! Lip the upper note up a bit and you're in business.

5. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I homeschool my kids and raise them to be odd. (What else can you expect, when the mother plays bugle calls in the home?) They don't have stereos in their rooms and haven't asked. When they want music, they play it themselves or play a piano roll. (Yes, we're weird!) I call reveille in the morning, but not before 8am, since I don't want to bother the neighbors. Mess is called at mealtime, assembly, whenever I want to tell the kids something (I need a call for each one of them, so I can call only one, if I only need one), drill when it's time to do chores or otherwise work, swimming when it's time for swim practice/lessons, church when it's time to go to church, guard mounting when it's time to get in the van, and call to quarters when I want them in their rooms AND it's not too late. (again, don't want to bother the neighbors)

Guard mounting isn't required for the merit badge, but I find it useful anyway. I've also got the music for "school" and "mail". Sometimes, when I think about it I'll play them, too.