Building a successful warm-up

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BHS Trumpet, Jun 9, 2011.

1. BHS Trumpet

BHS Trumpet New Friend

Nov 26, 2010
    Georgia
    Next year I will be a senior in highschool and throughout my time in middle school and early high school I neglected the importance of a warmup routine. Sure I would play a few notes. I would do some slurring exercises and some dexterity exercises, but these would only last a few minutes at most before I would work on pieces of music. Within the past year though the importance of a good warmup has become painfully aware. So I've started to try to develope a routine.

Some of the things I like to do are chromatics. I will start on low F# and go to a middle G. Then I would go down chromatically and repeat this process. I would slowly get faster until I could keep this up at a pretty fast speed while making sure it was still clean.

Another thing I would do is a simple slurring exercise going from partial to partial (the highest partial I would go to is the 3rd, middle C). I would make different patterns going from partial to partial then add fingerings.

So this is what I basically have so far. Sometimes I would do this for hours on end. While watching TV I would play some and just any other free time I would be playing this little warmup routine.

I posted here hoping I could get advice on other things I could add to my warmup (and comments on my current warmup) to enhance it and my playing ability.

Thanks,
    BHS Trumpet

2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Hey

So I'm in a similar situation where I really neglect warmups. I have secured a teacher for myself this summer (I just graduated from highschool) who has been taught by Gary Radke and he is going to get me straightened out to a strong routine.

You should secure a teacher in your area who is really good (probably a local university) and take lessons there!

If you share the approximate region where you live, I could look up other Gary Radke's students who I trust very much after having worked with Gary for 30 minutes at ITG... He's insanely genius (literally in the genius-status), even if he's not the greatest player himself (which he'll freely admit to you).

Well, my first advice would be to go find a teacher :)

keehun

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Have a daily routine, a maintenance routine. This is not a warm up.

For a warm up, a few chromatic runs, a scale to set your relative pitch and a few pedals is all I do. Lip slurs are great. Maybe a minute only. Breathing and relaxation then check tuning.

My usual is a bottom C to High C up and down 4 times with a single breath. Then check Pedals (if I can hit my Pedals I know my flexibility is OK). If not I may repeat with low D to High D. Have a good daily routine then that is all I need for a warm up for the gig.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I agree with the earlier poster find a good teacher and develop a good solid warm-up and routine.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A good warm up is as little as possible, but as much as necessary.

Basically, the more that you are playing in a day, the less requirement to get restarted the next.

If you build a big dependency on a warm up, then you have to make sure that you ALWAYS get to gigs early (annoys the hell out of the colleagues - how often have I thought "why can't "x" practice at home"? When I get to gigs, there are things to clear up with the conductor, stage setup, music, lighting, dressing room. If I can't hear myself think - I look for someone next time that doesn't make their issue mine), or warm up with enough time at home.

I consider it like getting up in the morning: shower, shave (oops, I forgot one). If I oversleep, I am still functional even if I only get one or 2 of the 3 Ss covered.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too find I have l developed very little need for a warm-up, I run through a couple of very quiet scales, for fingers and mind to align, and then just quietly buzz without disturbing anyone else's prep - I very much dislike having to think/communicate in someone's pre-gig 'practice session' - in fact I get quite cranky - my boys have even bought me a "Grumpy" tee shirt, so I guess it shows sometimes.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I never had a regular warm-up and it frustrated me. I finally just decided on Walter Moeck's routine. It is pretty basic and in some ways similar to what most do. I just appreciated the structure and it has worked for me to this day. I don't rest as much now between exercises as when I started since I've gotten stronger. It even has a range builder as the last routine. I agree with Rowuk and Ted about warming up on site. It annoys others since it isn't very musical but mechanical. I have "solved" this by warming up on my way in my car using my mpc and a berp. Now I'm annoyed when the other player warms up on site. Guess it's "payback"! :lol::lol: