Building consistancy across the range of the horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fusion2002, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Fusion2002

Fusion2002 New Friend

Dec 11, 2004
    Manny,

The other day I was working on the Arutunian double tounging sections, and I noticed I'm starting to get that smooth yet defined tounging in the lower register, just like the Dokshizer recording... But as I extend into the upper register, it starts to get a bit harsh... I know that it just comes down to practice, but I was wondering if you could help me with a physical Image of how my mechanics should stay the same or change as I move up the scales. I've been focusing on a Tu-Ku (or Too-Koo) rather than a Du-Guh approch, and it seems to help, but I'm looking for even more clarity. Thanks for any input you may have.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    You're getting that crunchy, brack-brack sound up there, right?

Essentially, it's a double buzz and you cure it the same way: increase the airflow, support by letting the abs get smaller instead of stiffening up, and make the tongue smaller with a syllable like Too, which it sounds like you're doing.

Skipping stones over the water NOT throwing them as hard as you can into the water.

ML

3. Fusion2002

Fusion2002 New Friend

Dec 11, 2004

Exactly, thats exactly what it sounds like. Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try. I appreciate it!