Building Range?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpette2017, Apr 3, 2014.

1. trumpetreble

trumpetreble New Friend

Mar 15, 2014
    Apex, NC
    G as in directly above the staff? Or an octave higher? Be patient and try long tones,(middle) G, F#, G#, F, A etc, as high as you can go. Also, seconding someone else, quiet!

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi 2017,
    There's three documents that can be found on this site that some have found helpful when plagued with problems similar to yours. They are:
    *Circle of Breath
    *VB's Ray of Power
    *The Basics Sheet
    I promise if you apply the advice put forth in these documents, you will be a much happier trumpet player. See, here's the thing. Many of us know what your problems are because we've been asked the same questions hundreds of times. Interestingly, those people that follow the advice in the documents and stick with it will email back a couple of months later and thank TM for helping them through a rough spot. The ball is now in your court.
    Dr.Mark

3. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Marching is one of the worst things a musician can do! I did marching band for 6 years at school, and it ruined ALL the embouchures in our band. The two most common problems that developed were the embouchure "migrating" to one corner of the mouth, and excess pressure. Especially for a student, it's almost impossible to keep that mouthpiece in the right position, when your whole body is going up and down! I curse my school for that, it destroyed our collective abilities, because we did not have the proper training. It is difficult to master, but not impossible.

Chad Shoopman shows you can march and play amazingly, so it must be possible.

Have a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqnlFf4SwWw

Thomas Gansch (from Mnozil Brass) and Adam Rapa are playing around on a treadmaster. Adam Rapa is able to continue playing while nearly running, but Thomas can't do it. I imagine that this is due to Adam having had experience marching and Thomas didn't.

What you can learn from the video is important. I recommend the same as the experienced guys above, like Rowuk, who recommend taking time off from marching. This is important so that you learn the essentials of playing - less pressure, better air support, etc etc. But even if you can't, the most important thing you can do is to integrate your style of marching and playing.

What the video shows is that if you smooth your step, so you glide, instead of "stepping", you reduce the amount of "head-bob". The less your head goes up and down, the less pressure you will need to keep the instrument glued to your face!

This takes practice as well, because it is most likely not your natural way to march.

Good luck!

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    That's not the half of it!

Most people can't walk eight paces with a cup of coffee without it slopping over. A good marching bandsman should be able to carry a trayful of drinks all around a building, upstairs and downstairs, eyes looking dead ahead all the time, without spilling a drop. It requires perfectly timed weight transfer, heel-and-toe articulation and knee and hip flexure at each step to prevent any bobbing, lurching or twisting getting into the spine (and from there into the rest of the upper body).

It's a learned skill, as important (to a marching bandsman) as any other facet of playing technique, and indeed becomes an integral part of that technique.

Attempting to play without having first learned the basics of 'the barmaid's walk' is just asking for trouble.

5. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Far more eloquent than I!

6. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    I wouldn't say that marching band is necessarily bad for your embouchure. Playing the lower part while you are developing it may help, as long as you don't play too loud.

As for the pencil exercise, I personally don't think that it really helps.

That's all I got for now. I'm a freshman too, so I don't really know much about playing the trumpet.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    All you need to know about trumpet is the same advice as life --- "come to life prepared" is what I often say. Trumpet like life is something you adapt to -- there are twists and turns in "getting more proficient" on the trumpet --- and like life you can't always prepare, but you can play the trumpet ---- adapt and overcome problems when they arise ---- like life --- continue on each day as both trumpet and life work themselves out when you participate and continue on

8. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Absolutely 3x every reply to your post. All the guys who replied are outstanding and extremely knowledgeable. Every reply was spot on, nothing goofy at all. Now the difficulty is to apply and actually use what they are telling you. Make a list of each principle on a 5 X 8 note card and clip it on the top or side of your music stand using a clothes pin or large office paper clip. Stare at that list and review it every time you take your horn off your mouth. Eventually these principles will be engrained into your mind and you will not have to consciously think of them. Practice a little, a lot... And for God's sake stay away from marching band if at all possible. Every trumpet teacher will tell you that their students all loose a lot of, well everything, during football season. The hours and the type of playing fosters the development of bad habits. Think about everything these guys have told you to do and ask yourself, "can I do that while marching?" Great if you can, I could not. You are on the right track and to quote a brilliant man.... "Keep on hootin' ! " Good luck, you will do fine.