Building the chops up... (video)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by T-Money, Nov 15, 2014.

1. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014
    I'm trying to figure out how long I can last when chopping out. And yes I know :thumbdown: I cracked the D in both octaves the goal was to not blast anything, so my air was a little weak. Any tips for lasting up there. By the way I've been playing trumpet since the 6th grade--now I'm in the 11th--so I know most of you have got some years on me.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qiiRU-3Utq0
    Newest video

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Forget about lasting up in the high range. It sounds like you need to work on control through the mid range. Once you get that down, the good habits from the mid register will help your high range.

3. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014
    I can control my middle register just fine, I had been playing pedal tones and all of the above before that and the pedal tones had my lips feeling very buzzy. I think I was thinking about playing high when I started which resulted in the quality of my middle register
    not being good. :shhh:

4. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014
    Thank you for the advice I forgot to mention I switched from a 7c all the way to a 3c. The 3c is the difference between day and night (in a good way) I'm just practicing scales and scale patterns some of them above an octave to get a feeling of where all the notes are.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Walter M. Smith Top Tones for the Trumpeter. It consists of a bunch of upper register etudes.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I normally ignore YouTubes of stuff like this because there is never anything new. And so here. The usual weakness in body use, the sound of a player that beats their chops up during practicing, big deficits in breathing. Generally the same stuff that we always get.

The solution is exactly the sames as for everyone else asking how to get better range:
    Fix breathing and body use first, get a good daily routine that does not trash the face and get regular contact to a fine player that can honestly monitor your process.

We cannot fix what we don't understand by DIY. I am certain that everyone here could benefit from a teacher/mentor - even the pros. An objective set of additional ears, eyes and personality is critical to staying on track. Those of us playing professionally have constant qualified feedback. That is a big part of the success story.

I have now placed YouTubes on ignore again. I can unfortunately post the solution without even looking/listening. Sigh..........

7. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014

Of course you can diagnonose anything without looking and listening, we all play trumpet :) Just until now my directors have IGNORED that I can play higher than EVERYONE in the trumpet section until now; what you heard was something I figured out how to do myself whether it was sucky or not. I think in the case of being a high school student getting "professional help" for improving anything above a c would be too over board because there are other things I could spend my time on improving that actually mattered. I've realized that I have a natural talent for playing up there, and I can sound WAY better than that ratty video because I was sitting in the dark of my cramed closet.

8. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    This is hilarious ROFL

9. T-Money

T-Money New Friend

Jun 21, 2014
    How is this humorous I don't think any of us are trying to be funny? :l

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The most important thing you can do for your trumpet playing is get a good teacher. It will help everything. High range and who can play the highest is unimportant.

If you can sound way better than the video, then why did you post a video of you not playing at your best?