Building Trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JLSmith526, Feb 16, 2010.

1. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, JL!

I'd like to second the suggestion of doing the Barclay/Seraphinoff natural trumpet-making class. I participated in it back in the summer of 1996 in Bloomington, IN. It was held the first full week of July and it was hot as Heck there and I didn't think to bring work gloves. That said, I ended up with a pretty good basic natural trumpet for a fairly small investment of $$$.

Barclay's book covers all of the theory, and would be a good read >prior< to taking the class.

I'd also suggest watching the video mentioned above, as well as the couple of episodes of "How it's Made" on Discovery (Science Channel) that show trumpet/trombone making.

There are books on instrument repair that will also prove handy. When I was in High School, I purchased a few junker trumpets at antique stores (before they got trendy) and made a few "Frankenhorns" from them. I still have two of them, Herald style high F trumpets, although one of them was partly disassembled to make a posthorn (the straight high Ab type with which to perform the "Posthorn Gallop" with the Chicago Brass Band).

All it really takes is a knowledge of how trumpets work, why dimensions are important, how to cut brass tubing cleanly, and how to solder. If you have access to some junk horns, you can teach yourself without too much danger or expense.

Hope this helps inspire you!

Guy Clark
    South Bay Brass
    Silicon Valley Brass Band - A Traditional British Brass Band

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I noticed on your site you say you "Decoupled" the rear S brace from the MPC receiver. Can you explain what that means?

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Thanks for the question.

I actually say "decoupled the mouthpiece receiver to bell brace". The brace is decoupled; the mouthpiece receiver is not decoupled from the brace. This brace transmits less energy/vibration between the mouthpiece receiver and bell. There is a small hole drilled in the brace, and the brace is also annealed at that spot. The term "decoupled" came from a conversation I had with a BMW design engineer in Germany a couple of years ago.

Decoupling this brace opened up the sound a great deal. It made a great difference to the Jaeger-Diamond, but does not necessarily improve all trumpets. You could simulate the effect somewhat on your own instrument by wrapping a 1/8" wide short length of Gaffer tape around the middle of your own brace. The effect is very slight, but it exists.

Let me know. I hope this helps.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If I understand correctly, the hole is drilled in the centre of the brace, not on the brace feet?

It is an interesting idea. Thanks for the reply.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Yes, in the middle of the brace. It is just visible in the bottom photo on page 2 of the website.