Building up a network

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GijsVis, Jan 11, 2013.

1. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Hey TM,

This afternoon, the other trumpet player of our Chicago musical production called me and the director, and told me that he had an accident and got pneumothorax, I believe it's called that in English, it's something when one of your lungs has collapsed causing in severe pain and breathing issues (Docs here, please confirm), and as I speak, he is in surgury and after that he can't play for 6 weeks, while our production plays in 3 weeks, so our director was (obviously) desperate. She didn't know any trumpet players that could substitute him because she's not from around here, and completely panicked. Luckily I am from around here, and have build up quite a network of musicians and trumpet players, and texted and/or called about 50 trumpet players. I found a substitute within an hour, and my director (and the rest of the production) is relieved by that.

Now you have to understand, this is not a orchestra with proffesional musicians, we all do it for free, though we are a pretty good orchestra, so just hiring somebody wasn't really an option, only a last resort, because we are over our budget already (Those actors apparantly need clothes and mics and make-up and a lot more), so gladly this worked out.

My point is, as a musician, try to get bonds with as much musicians as possible to build up a network, since this will come in handy, and when it's necessary to use it, you'll be the saviour of the orchestra. So, when you've come across a musician, just switch numbers or e-mail, because this will come in handy. Personally I have a little contactbook (digital and analog) which is stuffed with names and numbers that might come in handy.

Did some of you ever ran across such a problem?

Gijs Vis

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's a great idea, but the downside is that not many will play such a show without being paid, and such is not just the run of the show, but all the rehearsals for it. That's a heavy time commitment. Musicians too have expenses.