Building Your Own Horn!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Hasn't anyone ever wanted to? Wouldn't it be cool, having someone ask about where you got your horn, and saying "I made it".?

Okay, this has been an idea I have entertained since this summer, and today have finally decided to cultivate into a full interest. I want to start learning as much as I can about the art, maybe seeing if I can apply it on some experiements (I am particularly interested in the bells).

Okay, this is a question that I'm sure only Leigh can answer.

If I want to start setting a foundation to build on when it comes to trumpet building, where should I start? Should I find directions on the internet, get materials, and start experiementing? Should I wait until later on, becoming an apprentice with no idea what the hell I'm doing? Whats your story on how you came to build trumpets? What would be your advice to someone setting out to walk the path of trumpet maker?

Im sure I've forgotten a question to ask. Bear with me, I sometimes feel like there are thousands of ideas and musings flying around my head, and I can only grab a handful at a time...

Van

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    To lend support, I've kinda wondered about this too. Hopefully Leigh or someone knowlegable can answer.

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I'm a hero. LOL. Okay.. I thought it was funny

Bear

P.S. Trumpet making would be awesome. I have always wondered if I could build my horn the way I like it....

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    YAY! I'm not as crazy as I thought (Or maybe most of the people here are as crazy as me....?!?)

Van

5. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    probably the latter

6. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hey Guy's

Just got to run to work, but i'll post fully about this tonight when i get in okay.

Regards

Leigh

7. Matt o-iii<O

Matt o-iii<O Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    What happened to that post?
    I wouldn't mind making trumpets either.

8. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    Why bother with a mere Eclipse when you can buy a "Build Your Own Trumpet" kit:

Build your own trumpet kits!

I love these sentences:

"The end result is not a toy - it is a real high quality trumpet that you can play", and "Building the trumpet can be tricky and involves the use of a gas burner and other tools which can be harmful, so building this kit is recommended for adults only."

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are serious about this, here are 2 excellent opportunities:

Edinboro University Trip to Barclay Trumpet Making Workshop
    These courses are given every year. More info here:

Workshops

Alternately, here is a good source for kits that are easier to build. The trumpet link does not work for the moment, just send them an E'mail.

These are both natural trumpet links that get you started in working with brass. Building your own valves is another story altogether. There you need fancy tools and more knowhow!

Renaissance Workshop Company (RWC) is the world's largest manufacturer of Early Music Instruments and the rightful heir of the Early Music Shop's workshop in Bradford

Toobz likes this.
  10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    The links above will provide the basic, but, already bent tubing for the making of a trumpet shaped object, BUT, the precision jigs and fixtures needed for the proper alignment of those parts are left out of the discussion, thus far.

As a youngster, I had the oportunity to work in the York Band Instrument Co. plant here in Grand Rapids, Mi.. I learned quickly that these jigs and fixtures were in constant need of micrometric adjustment to bring the affected brass parts into proper alignments with one another to keep stress out of the finished product. This also applied to the bending jigs for the bending of the various tubings constituting the instrument. The required soldering is an absolute art, not, just a craft. To make clean 'looking' solder joints is fairly simple, after a bit of practice, but, the question was then asked, is the joint clean on the inside? Buffing, polishing in rediness for plating or lacquer finish is another high art. Done improperly, the product looks like junk, or, has quirky intonation problems, or is stuffy, or many other unwanted problems. If done well, the horn will 'sing'. This,then, is a successful manufacture and is NOT to be taken on by anyone without proper training. This is, unless the prospective 'trumpet builder' simply can't find any more productive way to throw money away.

OLDLOU>>