Bulging veins

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jmills, May 9, 2008.

1. Jmills

Jmills New Friend

May 9, 2008
    Has anyone ever had a problem with swelling lips? I made an embrochure change months ago because of occasional pain in my lips, but the problem hasn't exactly dissipated. Sometimes after playing even for a short while, I will end up with 2 pulsating veins in my lips. It hurts very badly sometimes, and I don't believe it is a problem with too much pressure. (Let it be known that when I first began playing trumpet that I tucked my upper lip under my teeth. Ouch! Could this be a cause?)

What might this be? A pulled muscle, varicose veins, a tumor, or maybe I just need to practice more on my new emborchure? (I might just be a hypochondriac, heh.)

I've been searching for info for the longest time. Any answers are greatly appreciated.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Jmills!

You might want to check out where the mouthpiece rim sits on your face--is the top of the inside of you rim on your upper lip, or on the skin above? Likewise for the bottom lip. Do both lips swell? What kind of practice, what kind of mouthpiece, who long have you been playing?

Plenty of good folk here at Trumpetmaster, eager and willing to help--a little more information would make the fun challenge of diagnosing stuff over the internet more productive.

Good luck!

3. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Is this a problem that occurs everytime. Is it related to lip chapping, or ....

Like VB said, post as much info as possible. So many knowledgeable people here, unlike myself. :dontknow:

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  4. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    probably you bruised your lips previously and have not allowed them to heal completely

are you playing really loud?

5. Jmills

Jmills New Friend

May 9, 2008
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I've been playing for 4 years and I'm currently using a 3C Bach mouthpiece. I also rest my mouthpiece pretty close to the center. It may be that I play with too much pressure, but I'm also being led to believe that It could be a result of scar tissue or such from playing with a warped embrochure my first few years of playing. It happens no matter how much I have been practicing and as of recently it doesn't appear to be going away.

Just today I attended my high school's marching band kickoff rehearsal where I'm pleased to say I'm playing 1st as a sophomore. : ) The entire time I didn't feel any pain nor do I now. However a large vein still protrudes from my upper lip. I rested on the weekend and the pain I was feeling last week has not relapsed thankfully.

I'm not sure if i should be worried or not because although it is obviously not normal it hasn't provided too much of a hassle.

Does this sound like a real issue? Should I simply take a break when time permits?

6. Majestic1

Majestic1 New Friend

Dec 12, 2007
    Looks to me like you've already diagnosed 75% of your problem...high pressure, marching band, etc.

I can say two things:

1. VM causes bulging veins & I think it's from pressure on the vegas (sp) nerve #10

2. A 'chops doctor' will help you. Here is a good one:
    Jeanne G Pocius
    "The Chop Doc"
    [email protected]
    Author of "Trumpeting by Nature
    Outskirts Press
    Mizpah
    Jeanne G. Pocius

Good luck.