Bummed Out at Pawn Shop

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sach7581, Jan 6, 2012.

1. sach7581

sach7581 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Totally bummed. Went to a pawn shop and found a Conn Director with copper bell for $69. Needed repair. the first horn I ever had was just like it except it didn't need repair. Took the horn to he checkout and asked for a discount. Owner looks it up on Ebay and found a classified add for a similar horn for $1,499!!! Owner refused to sell me the horn and would not even reprice it. I hate EBay idiots and pawn store idiots.

2. Uncle Dave

Uncle Dave Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Weyburn, Sk., Canada
    That is a pretty optimistic pricing for an entry-level horn. I have one on eBay and it's running at $12.50. Download to paper copy and take that

to the pawn shop.

3. sach7581

sach7581 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Your not going to believe this but I actually did and hoped she did't notice the shipping! She said she didn't know the difference and would not price it until her "expert" could explain it.

4. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    People have the right to ask whatever price they want. That said, it is getting fairly ridiculous. I've seen some of the same items that have been on ebay the entire time I've been playing (about a year and a half now I think). We all know about the infamous red wooden rack. Since ebay doesn't charge you until you sell, it doesn't really matter, they can leave stuff up for years until they get a bite. However, 1500 for a director in ANY condition is a stretch by about 1100 bucks, and that's being really generous. Unless it was some famous old pro's first horn or something, and it could be proven. I hate when they look up pricing on ebay as well, but sometimes their methods are even more amateur. I once was in dire need of cash so I decided to pawn my custom shop american Fender Stratocaster. I took it to the pawn shop, the guy behind the counter had a guitar center magazine, which had a picture of a fender squire strat for 59 dollars. He quoted me 20 bucks. Ha! Needless to say I found other avenues to secure the cash. I learned that each pawn owner has a specialty, whether it's used electronics, DVD's, lawncare equipment, jewelry or musical instruments. It's pretty easy to tell though. When you go into a pawn shop just check out what they have the most of. If they have lots of jewelry, that's their main bag, and will probably turn to ebay for pricing anything else. Same goes for musical instruments. On the flip side, the ones that don't have many musical items might under price what they have because they don't know what they have.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Years ago, I was looking for a good flugelhorn. I found a great Benge at a pawn shop about 100 miles from where I live. The guy in charge quoted me a price of $500, so I asked him to let me play it a bit to make sure I wanted it. I played it about 15 minutes in the store and then told him I would take it. He then told me he had to have $650 for it. I laid five $100 bills on the counter and told him that was the price he quoted me, but the louse said he changed his mind.

I put the cash back into my wallet and left.

A couple months later, I ran across an Olds L-12 flugel in a local pawn shop for $55, and although it wasn't as good as the Benge, it was good enough for me...:D Keep looking - you'll find a better one for the right price if you're patient.

6. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    I had been looking on e-bay and in pawn shops for a super deal on a B flat trumpet -- no luck.
    If you go to a pawn shop[ in a big city forget it -- they know the prices.

Over a year ago in a Pawn Shop in the small town where my Father lives I found a Bach Stradivarius still in all it packaging materials ands the case was wrapped in plastic.
    They wanted $950 for the horn.
    The next day I called and told the owner I was in his store and would like to know what the lowest price he would accept for the NEW Bach? I tolds him I understand he needs to make a profit....
    He said he could go as low as $700!! I asked him if I paid him $750.00 would he ship it to me?
    I am the proud owner of a NEW Bach Strad for $750.00!!
    Do not give up...just be patient!!

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Wow, thats great. That is the price for a used one that needs a little work. Good score.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Pawn shop owners are a different breed. Unfortunately, most know very little about musical instruments outside of guitars. I found a nice little Boosey & Hawkes Regent cornet that I would have paid $150 for but the guy wants $500. WHY? Well another B & H was on e-Bay and sold for $650. Never mind that it wasn't the same horn, but in his mind all B&H's should net around $650. So his was a "deal" at $500!!! I found it on a rainy day last summer. He is still the proud owner of it. HIS expert was the guy that sold him the horn ROFLROFLROFL !!! A reputed "collector" in my area. I asked who, but he didn't want to reveal his source of "rare musical instruments". ROFLROFLROFL Moral of the story is to keep looking.:thumbsup:

Moral of the story 2 : Find a Coprion Conn for $70, unless the repair is outrageous, buy it!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  9. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I bought a Coprion bell Director last month at a pawn shop in Maine for $130. The owner wanted $150 because that's what they were going for on eBay. I played a few notes on it and he said that I sounded better than most of the kids that blatted a few notes on it and sold it to me for $130 cash! That and $40 of dent work and ultrasonic cleaning, another horn in my stable.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Wow, that is UNFRIENDLY. As much as I dislike pawn shop owners, I've never had one change a price on me ..... That is over the top. If it were me, AND they weren't behind the counter WITH ALL THE GUNS, I'd tell them off. That's contrary to civilized behavior. It's unAmerican.

My best pawn shop story involves laziness rather than just flat out ugly capitalism. I wasn't really looking, helped a friend out and was in the area. My fav shop had a very badly dented and beat up and slide stuck Ambassador (played fine and sounded pretty good :dontknow::roll:). I tried it out. While I was doing that, the guy brought out another horn in a case, showed it to me. He was just putting it out that day. I couldn't figure out what it was without borrowing his reading glasses.:lol:

1978 Getzen Severinsen. He was looking for a model NUMBER and couldn't figure it out. I guess he never saw the Tonight Show.ROFL

Anyway, he says, "Is this one worth $50 more than the other one?" (the Olds Ambassador for $125). Of course, I had to say yes. "Allright," he says, "$175."

I talked him down to $150 and had to drive 20 miles to borrow the money from my Dad. He held it for me though ..... When I got back with the money, he didn't change the price on me. He's one of the NICE GUYS. I tell him that every time I see him and thank him for the trumpet. NOW he knows he gave me a GREAT deal, but he doesn't really care, because he's not the shop owner.

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012