Bummed Out at Pawn Shop

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sach7581, Jan 6, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A couple of friends of mine owned a pawn shop. They would let me in the back to look at stuff since they knew me. One day I noticed a sawed off shotgun under the counter (out of sight). I asked if it was for sale. He smiled real big and said, "No, it's for protection"! He then proceeded to show me that they were NEVER more than 6 INCHES away from a gun!!! :oops::oops: AND that did not include the guns they carried on their person!!! I don't mess with pawn store owners!! ROFLROFLROFL

2. sach7581

sach7581 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    I think part of the problem was that she didn't recognize me as a repeat customer. I buy about 20 guns a year, including two from her store but I didn't deal directly with her. The other pawn shops recognize me as a buyer and quickly give me good service and the real price. In her defense,they were very busy, someone just delivered lunch and she knew I was getting impatient waiting for service. On the other hand, she raised the price on another gun by $150 after I looked at it, (getting ready for tax refunds) and raised the price of an impact wrench my friend was looking at. I'll go back at the end of next week and maybe she will have pitty on me. I have to go back. It had a nice original case.

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    You explained it all when you said pawn shop.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Couldn't agree more. I have no sympathy for these people, no matter how much hype they get on TV. Even in the days when it looked that I may never get into playing again, and I was short on cash with a baby at home, I would never have considered letting one of these individuals put their hands on my old Yammie. That the ex-wife tried to encourage me to do so somewhat participated in her getting the status of ex.

5. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Pawn stores, just making money of peoples needs thereof. Somewhat predatory.

Although i would love a good rumage through some of the older larger ones. :)

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I hate that story..ggrrrrrrrr

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Hurry! Hurry! shopgoodwill.com has a Conn Coprion Director at auction a few minutes ago at just over $100.00 and auction will close shortly TODAY. I already have one and no need for another. Today is Sunday, January 8, 2012

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ar the Pawn Shop near me, all the clerks are packing a handgun. The day I was in there so was I and they knew it. I noted one clerk off to the side kept his hand on his gun while I was there ... dummy doesn't realize that such often results in first one being shot. What's the beef, I was perusing a few trumpets that were still in the case? Nothing worth what they were asking IMO and I left. A few days later, that Pawn Shop was broken into and robbed, taking many firearms. Who was subsequently questioned ... you know me, don't you? I was never assigned to IA, but the reality is that POLICE does not spell ANGEL. Fingerprints did bring about the apprehension of the true offenders including all but 2 of the firearms I was told. The only place my fingerprints could have been found was on the front door handle, but the break in occured from the rear. I didn't even touch the case I was looking into.

9. sach7581

sach7581 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Missed it.

10. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    A lady who plays with me in a community band got a call from a friend who was shopping in a small town 'good will' store near here. Told her to come and look at a trumpet on sale for $80....That's right........ $8-0.00.. It was a Strad too ..... also like new........I'm :evil: but she is VERRRRY happy.....