Bummed Out at Pawn Shop

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sach7581, Jan 6, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    SERIOUSLY... great horns going to players .. green with envy but great to hear!

2. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    IAWTP. They have the right to set any price, but any decent businessman would do the research FIRST, then price the item. What kind of incompetent jerk puts it out with any old price, then looks it up while the customer is waiting? It makes you wonder how much they offered the seller. Did they look it up and make a fair offer then? Hardly. It'll bite their profits whether they know it or not.

3. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I wouldn't. They need to fire her or they'll fail.

4. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Nothing like that with trumpets, but I did get a Conn 6H at the local Goodwill for $45... that amazed me, because they seldom have ANY instruments there, and never a professional horn.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Pawn Shop Tip #779:

Find out what day the OWNER has off and go in on that day. Get your good deal from the guy who works for minimum wage with no benefits. :cool:

Turtle

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Maybe the one who asked for a discount would like to rethink that one, Hmmmmm??;-)

7. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Back in the early 80's, I received a Burbank Benge from a pawn shop for 55 dollars... I wish I had kept the horn. But I foolishly went into the army and sold it.... Funny thing is, it showed up almost 3 decades later in Centex Brass. Clay told me how it went from me in California to the guy I sold it to, to a collector in Arizona, to him in Texas.... Good horns don't die, they just move on.... Centex sold it for 1200.00..... boy I wish I had kept that horn. It still had the scratches on on the valve cap from when I dropped it in the driveway of our house where I grew up.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It is my observation that Pawn shops acquire ownership of their merchandise in 3 ways: 1. Direct purchase new, 2. Direct Purchase preowned, and 3. Out of pawn (failure to pay off loan). With #1 the mark-up is not more than 25% or $1.00 paid provides 33 1/3rd cents profit. #2 the mark-up is not more than 75% or for $1.00 paid provides $4.00 profit. For #3, the mark-up may exceed 200% or more than $200.00 profit for every $1.00 paid out. For #3 some jurisdictions govern the finance charges and profit. Further, some jurisdictions mandate Out of Pawn items then be sold only at public auction with no reserve.

Usually, #1 items are bought to augment items #1 and #1 vis guitar strings and straps, or ammunition, cases, and holsters and cleaning equipment for firearms if they are federally and state licensed to sell these.

I'm very seldom a patron of pawn shops, but in this present economy I'm aware that many are.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012