Bunching of Chin While Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Jul 10, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Over the last year my playing has grown tremendously. My range is great in my eyes for a sophomore, a nice solid high C. Thats all I wanted, and my tone has developed greatly, even with the abundance of braces being added. Lately I've been laying back a bit, letting my chops get a break somewhat over the summer, just light playing of fun tunes, along with finger dexterity and breathing exercises. I was self evaluating my playing, and one thing I noticed I've always done, since I started, is i seem to bunch my chin. Two questions:

1. Is this a bad thing, i sound like people who don't bunch their chin in my section, but I want to know if this is something I need to fix.

2. I am willing to get lessons to fix this, but is there anyway I can try and fix this, or should i not bother and leave it the way it is?

Thanks,
    Kristina

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  2. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    The key to what you said is "I sound like people who don't bunch their chin." It's the sound. If you've got it, you're doing something right! I've been a buncher for years and for me, overbunching is something to watch for; could contribute to pinching up high, but some support of the lower lip is not a bad thing. Better than stretching it down like silly putty.

Ed
    Google

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Alright well I guess thats a bit of reassurance. I get worried when I see me doing something the other players in the section don't, and then think about the one kid whose pressure problem is slowly killing his playing, and wonder am I doing something that could do that much damage.

I keep an eye on it pretty closely, my director (trombonist), his friend from new york (trumpet player for paul simon), and the other director (trumpet player), didn't seem to think anything was wrong. But I don't know if its something they didn't catch or its just not a problem I need to worry about.

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Muscle compositions and formations on people's faces are as unique as fingerprints.

Some squint when they smile, some don't. Normal.....

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Until there is a specific problem, I would recommend listening to the people above who have heard and seen you play as opposed to the random strangers here on the internet. One of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things.

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    If you're having success, don't start thinking about the chops! They're doing their job, apparently. In my opinion, a "flat" chin usually has as much to do with how your face is built as what your chops are doing. If you sound good, don't worry!

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Thanks for the responses, I just wanted to make sure this wasn't something that could in the long run hurt my playing. I guess my teachers didn't say anything for a reason.