bundy serial #'s

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by edcon1981, Sep 6, 2008.

1. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    does anyone know much about bundy - selmer serial numbers? they seem to be rather difficult in tracking down, but curiosity has gotten the better of me and i'd like to know what i have (i already know it isn't anything special).

serial number on the horn is 960594 ml.

2. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Lars Kirmser's Music Trader - Buescher / Bundy Serial Number List

Your serial number comes after that, so it would be from late 1980's or even 1990's?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  3. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    thanx, i just can't seem to find anything on these horns past the '80s. any clue why? bear with me, i am learning. getting back into playing is piqueing my interest in horn history... what better way than to start with what you already own, right?

4. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    Many of us have tried contacting the Selmer company to get info on instruments based on serial numbers, and Selmer says that they don't bother to keep records on such things for more than about 5 years,
    they they don't have records that go farther back than the year 2000.
    Which is lousy customer service from Selmer.

Most of the original old-time companies up through the 1960's did a good job of maintaining such records.

But then the mega-companies came along in the 1960's and starting buying up the original companies.
    When the mega-companies took over,
    the quality of the instruments started to decline
    (focusing on poorly-made student instruments
    rather than well-made professional instruments)
    adequate records were no longer kept,
    all in the name of saving money and increasing profits.

Example:
    In the late 1960's Conn was bought out by MacMillan, which moved the factory to Abilene, Texas around 1971.
    Causing an immediate decline in quality of Conn instruments.
    Then UMI bought out the Conn company around 1985.
    Then Steinway bought out the whole mess within the last few years.
    (In the last 10 years the makers of Conn instruments have recycled serial numbers in a bizarre fashion that makes no sense.)
    Which is why Conn Loyalist Web site doesn't bother to include much information
    on the Conn instruments made after 1969.
    In essence, the original Conn company, maker of world-class instruments,
    died after 1969.

The original Martin company was bought out in the 1960's.

The orignal Olds company went out of business in the late 1970's.

Leaving it to fans of such vintage instruments to keep as much records as possible available on the Internet, because no official company today is going to maintain such records on instruments that are no longer made.
    Hence the formation of extremely helpful, informative fan sites such as
    Conn Loyalist
    Holton Loyalist
    Olds Central

- Morris

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Morris is right on! One might also add the Getzen company lost all their records in a bad fire in 63, I think. Other makers have had that same calamities over the years. Info on foreign horns and "stencils" are also freqently obscure.
    If you are really interested in learning about vintage horns, as I became a couple of years ago, soak up info on the vintage horns here and on Trumpet Herald and go to Horn-u-copia and wallow thru the data there on many makes. :-)

6. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    Horn-u-copia *is* a great site, like walking through an antique store full of old, obscure musical instruments.

Although some other sites have more in-depth info on individual trumpet makers, such as Conn Loyalist and Olds Central and Holton Loyalist,
    Horn-u-copia is the best in terms of the enormous number of makes and models that are mentioned.

Horn-u-copia has info about some obscure makes and models that no other site has.

- Morris

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    On the pro horn side, there may be an intrinsic value in keeping records. I would not get down on Selmer for not keeping Bundy student horn info though. It has NO ramifications for tracking spare parts, replacement parts or anything else that the company could possibly need. We could deem it a "nice-to-have" but I don't consider keeping serial numbers to reflect on customer service.
    Horn-u-copia and the other "Loyalist" sites are doing a fine job even if the student horns haven't caught up yet.

8. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've looked at some of the serial number lists online, but they don't seem to make any sense based on what I know about my Bundy. My folks bought it for me new as my first horn around 1966 or 67. I can tell you the serial number is 140xxx. Yours is much newer, so I know this won't be of much help, but now you know what little I know on this topic ;-)

9. Alan Dismukes

Alan Dismukes Piano User

Oct 16, 2007
    Alabama
    I agree. According to the serial number list my Bundy #123xxx was made in 1923! No way! If the Sith Bundy #140xxx was new in '66 or '67, then logically mine must date to the early or mid-'60s? It was given to me by a friend about 1979. He had played it in school, probably in the early '70s. Looks like his parents may have bought it used.

Alan

10. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    yeah, i kinda figured the pickings would be slim as far as student models are concerned... just wishful thinking.