Bunny Berigan's Trumpets

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Connstable Rick, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Connstable Rick

Connstable Rick New Friend

Jan 21, 2011
    Hello all!

I'm trying to find out what trumpets Bunny played, and particularly which he used for "I Can't Get Started" and other recordings from that period. I've seen online that he'd used a Selmer, Martin Dasant, Martin Imperial and perhaps another at different points in his (unfortunately) short career. However, any further, specific information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

~Rick

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    According to the player combination site, he played the following trumpets and in this order:
    Selmer
    Martin Dansant
    Martin Imperial
    Conn 12 B

3. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    I can't be sure if this story is entirely true but here goes. My mother told this to me from time to time. My mom had a sister who owned a restaraunt in Atlantic City or maybe New York. Supposedly Bunny was a customer who couldn't pay his bill and had to leave his trumpet until he could come back with the money. Apparently my aunt didn't know who he was until after he left his horn.
    I never knew my aunt, she died befroe I was born and my mom has been gone for 24 years so I can't be sure if this is true.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Interesting side note. I bought my Getzen SD from his grandson who was a player but not allowed to do the nightclub thing because of grandpa's lifestyle and where it ended. Thought I would be there 10 minutes tops and was there about 2 hrs. listening to this guy reminisce. As a kid, this guy had contact with all the top trumpeters of that era including Satchmo! Bunny passed before Getzen was formed, so he didn't play this SD, but it's a cool story.

5. Connstable Rick

Connstable Rick New Friend

Jan 21, 2011
    Did the matter of which horns Bunny actually used during the recording period ever come up?

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Unfortunately, no. Bunny passed before this guy was born, but the ties to the musical community were strong. This guy probably could have been great! He could play but just needed the money :-(. He knew players I've never heard of. I took my teacher with me cause he was interested in seeing the SD since he too is a Getzen guy. "Teach" knew everyone he mentioned! Mainly told war stories about Satchmo and hanging out with players. He had the Swing channel on when we walked into the house! This guy sweats jazz when he works! Can't fathom what might have been!