Burbank Trumpets return!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Kanstulbrass, May 4, 2005.

1. Kanstulbrass

Kanstulbrass Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    I'm posting this as a favor for my good friend Mike Thomas.

The Burbank trumpets are back! More information at the website:

www.michaelthomasmusic.com

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    What about the Kanstul Chicago line? I thought that those were supposed to be fairly accurate representations of the Chicago Benges. Are these supposed to be even better?

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I think they were going for representations of the Burbank Benges here. Some people probabaly prefer those particular Benges to the Chicagos (not being a Benge guy I really can't say too much).

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Is there a big difference between the Chicago Benges and the Burbank Benges?

From the website I gathered that all of these horns are going to be custom fitted, (but parts from Kanstul I would guess) and that says a lot. Sometimes that "feel" for correct placement of bracing and that sort of thing by a skilled brass tech can make all the difference between a trumpet that plays good, and a trumpet that's unbelievable.

Tom Turner, a fan of the older Benges, once told me that if I wanted a Chicago Benge without all of the hassle and money of trying to find a good vintage Benge, to buy the Kanstul Chicago.

If these new Burbanks and a step up from the Kanstul Chicago, then they must be really good.

5. felix c

felix c Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    If you want a exact copy of a Chicago Benge, buy Kanstul Chicago 1000, (3X), 1001 (3X+). The 1070 Big Band is the Claude Gordon benge Horn from the 70's. 1000,1001 are modeled with the Chicago Benge mandrells. I have hear that Burbank horns older and newers are modeled with Los Angeles Mandrells. All are excellent horns :play: