Burned My Lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Hughes, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I was making a homemade soup this Saturday and I accidentally left a spoon in the soup when I got a phone call. Not even thinking, while talking on the phone, I picked up the spoon (the plastic handle wasn't that hot) and trying to taste the soup, I put the 216 degree spoon right in my mouth, right on my embouchure.

Now I have a huge burn!

The blister broke on the top and bottom and I tried to just play...Nope. All I can get out is Middle A to Middle E. My chops feel like I've never played a horn before.

Has anyone else had one of these burns, and how long does it take to heal so I can play again?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    John Mohan... over at TH

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Ouch!!!!!!! And the wrong time of the year for it, too:-(

4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    It's not worth getting an infection. Don't play. It will take at least two weeks. Let the scar tissue form, let the blister pop on it's one. I suggest going to a doctor for a proper anti biotic cream to use. Your probably looking at a few weeks with no horn.

So was the soup anygood?

5. Dave Hughes

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Ya, I actually made the broth into Tom Yam Soup, and it rocked! But, it sucked!

6. Dave Hughes

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Buck with a Bach, I'm actually done with my Holiday gigs, fortunately. No Christmas Eve stuff this year.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yeouw! I once burned my upper lip mildly in the left corner when I use to smoke cigarettes. The scar is now not noticeable to most, but I can still feel it.

8. Dave Hughes

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Just played a few notes today to see what the damage was again. I can play again, but it hurts like hell- time to take the rest of the week off per TM'ers advice!

PS: I'm just happy it wasn't permanent! That would have really sucked!

9. Jimmie D

Jimmie D New Friend

Feb 26, 2011
    New Hampsihire
    I have burned my lip twice hours before a solo in church. Not as severe as you have descibed but enough to miss some notes and mess up the tone. The worst cuprit was mushroom soup - thick and held the heat. The lip was fine in a few days. I finally learned my lesson, I hope, and avoid hot food and drink before a performnce. Good luck!

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Lick your lips often. Saliva promotes healing. (How quickly does your tongue heal itself after biting accidentally?)