Burned My Lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Hughes, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Point taken. Just watch out for chapping in the Northern climes this time of year:oops:

2. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Update: The hardest part of this healing process is that I've lost a ton of flexibility while the scab goes away. The problem is not going up, its going down in the scale. I could play middle c and up for about a day, today g in the staff and mostly f are back, hopefully I will have low c tomorrow.

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    for consideration if this happens again, just read that putting soy sauce on a burn immediately works wonders. never tried it myself

4. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Been a fairly dry winter down south, too. I've taken to having a glass of water bedside for when I wake up.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Keep it clean, use antibiotic ointment on the skin surface ONLY (not mucosal) and you will be good in about a week. However, the muscle tone for not practicing the horn... that'll take several weeks to get back in order.

PS: Keep the mouth covered if going out in cold or breezy air... and vasolein petroleum jelly (avoid sented balms) to lock in moisture.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  6. Dave Hughes

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    UPDATE: I've got all my low notes back, and the chops were fine- other than being a bit rusty. My answer is two weeks to really heal back.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The tough part is getting the muscles back in order, but I predict you will be going from burned lips to burning up the horn in 6 weeks. Thanks so much for the update.

8. Dave Hughes

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks Doc! I practiced today for 1/2 hour- straight with only 15 second breaks, like I do to economize time- and had chops the whole way. I have lost my Double A and B, but I'm sure you're right and they'll be back soon- plus I hardly ever play anything that needs them, anyhow.

9. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote
    Dave, I empathise with your injury after mine in April http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/cut-lip-5-stitches-just-removed-67204-5.html

The advice from friends here was very helpful. While I'm sure you will find the wait to get yourself back to where you were is frustrating, its also an opportunity time to consider any revisions you perhaps wanted to try for your "new" embouchure.

You will soon be 110% :thumbsup:

10. Dave Hughes

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Ya, man, I remember that. Its odd, but one doesn't think about exactly how fragile the lips and chops are until you get an injury.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013