Burnout: Can you help me through it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rainiac, Aug 22, 2011.

1. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    This might sound simple, but just pick it up and play whatever you want to play, now you have done the audition there is no pressure. Once you start playing you will get a feel for it and remember why you like the trumpet. If you dont maybe reflect on if the trumpet is where you want to go.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Believe me, if you don't resume, there will come a time in your life where the doldrums will stomp all over you with the weight of elephants. Maybe I now don't now play as well as I once did, but I acquired horns in 2004 and had most of what I had back by 2009, then major dental issue stopped me. In 2010 major health issue pounced on top of me, but now in 2011 at age 75 with the dental and health issues behind me I've got the trumpet to my lips again and enjoying many a moment doing so.

3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Some great advice in this thread, especially liked jiarby (with the reprint image) and rowuks. I'm naturally lazy/fidgety. So I keep my horn out and on my stand (ala rowuk). I've always felt guitly because I'll literally practice for 5 minutes, put it down, come back later, another 5 or 10 minutes, etc. throughout the evening (or all day on weekends) (ala reprint). My 5 minutes are intense though...I'll hammer away at the same scale for 5 minutes, or just chromatics, or just lip slurs etc. And maybe once or twice a week I'll pull out a long-ish etude for endurance and to check my progress. But having seen references to folks practicing 3 and 4 and 6 hours a day I really felt guilty.

On the other hand, I've been playing for about a year and a half and I have to say I've made a ton of progress compared just to myself. I can confidently and consistently lip slur to and from high C, B, Bb, etc , got chromatics and all major scales to the point where I don't have to think about them, and so on.

So I guess it's kinda nice to see I've actually been doing things close to right, versus just being lazy :)

4. Rainiac

Rainiac New Friend

Apr 2, 2009
    Earth. For sure.
    Is my face ever red. I appreciate the tough love guys.

What I've learned: shut up and practice. Yes, practice can be tiring, yes it can be time consuming. If I want the skills, I've got to do the drills.

I also feel as though I've maddened some people. I apologize for my excuses, whining isn't going to make me a better trumpet player. However, I have not picked the wrong major; this is what I want to do, and you're right, I'm going to have to love practice to do it. Well put with the "third trumpet" thing. You nailed my attitude, and that's a pathetic way for me to go about something I claim to love so much.

Thank you guys, always so helpful when I'm just not sure who to talk trumpet to about something.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes, sometimes we make comments and hit the figurative SEND button before we engage our brains and analyse - ... maddened some people ... yes maybe, but we envy your opportunity so much that mostly we're mad at ourselves - beware, OLD GUYS GET GRUMPY - sometimes from their own opprtunities lost. Apology accepted with thanks - over to you .... Trumpeter Rainiac.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Rainiac, a bunch of us are mad here, but not in the angry way! A bunch of us are passionate, too, so don't be too surprised when we get emphatic about the trumpet, but TM community only allows "safe people" to post and will either drive out the wackos or the moderators will ban them.

We do define "wacko" with a broad brush, however--hence all the posts from Australia! :-)

7. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Short of a physical ailment burnout is mental. Even when my chops are done some of the things on my mind are:

"When can I play again?"
    "How long am I going to have to rest?"
    "When can I play again?"
    "What can I be doing in the meantime until I can play again?"
    "I wonder if it's ok if I take my horn with me there maybe I can get in a little practice in the car, park, studio, closet, etc?"
    "How long do I have to rest now?
    "When can I play again?"
    "Can I play again now?"

A don't think of practice as practice really, it's all playing to me. A day without playing? Perish the thought! Be careful you don't repeat whatever it is gave you burnout in the first place.