BUSH NEWS CONFERENCE

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Solar Bell, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    IMHO...

BRAVO PRESIDENT BUSH!!!

A very confident president telling it like it is!

"Nice try...end of your try"
    George W. Bush

Thank You President Bush!!

-cw-

2. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Is this the news conference you are referring to?
    Pres. Bush Holds Year-End Press Conference

A day after addressing the nation from the Oval Office, President George W. Bush held a year-end news conference on Monday.

President Bush brushed aside criticism over his decision to spy on suspected terrorists without court warrants Monday and said he will keep it up "for so long as the nation faces the continuing threat of an enemy that wants to kill American citizens.''

"As president of the United States and commander in chief I have the constitutional responsibility and the constitutional authority to protect our country,'' he said at a year-end White House news conference.

Bush also called on Congress to renew the anti-terror Patriot Act before it expires at the end of the year. "In a war on terror we cannot afford to be without this law for a single moment,'' he said.

The legislation has cleared the House but Senate Democrats have blocked final passage and its prospects are uncertain in the final days of the congressional session.

The president stood at a podium in the East Room of the White House, hours after a prime-time nationwide speech from the Oval Office in which he renewed his resolve to prosecute the war in Iraq to a successful conclusion.

In opening news conference remarks, Bush said the warrantless spying, conducted by the National Security Agency, was an essential element in the same war on terror.

"It was a shameful act for someone to disclose this important program in a time of war. The fact that we're discussing this program is discussing the enemy,'' he said.

The existence of the program was disclosed last week, triggering an outpouring of criticism in Congress, but an unflinching defense from Bush and senior officials of his administration.

The president spoke not long after Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said Congress had given Bush authority to spy on suspected terrorists in this country in legislation passed after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Bush and other officials have said the program involved monitoring phone calls and e-mails of individuals in this country believed to be plotting with terrorists overseas.

Normally, no wiretapping is permitted in the United States without a court warrant. But Bush said he approved the action without such orders ``because it enables us to move faster and quicker. We've got to be fast on our feet.

"It is legal to do so. I swore to uphold the laws. Legal authority is derived from the Constitution,'' he added.

Despite the weighty issues Bush addressed, the president bantered with reporters at times.

"So many questions, so little time,'' said one, and the president had a ready quip. "Ask a short question,'' he said.

But the session was dominated by national security issues -- specifically the newly disclosed spying program by the NSA.

Bush emphasized that only international calls were monitored without court order -- those originating in the United States or those placed from overseas to individuals living in this country.

He stressed that calls placed and received within the United States would be monitored as has long been the case, after an order is granted by a secret court under the provisions of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

One of the principal provisions of the Patriot Act permitted the government to gain warrants in cases involving investigations into suspected terrorists in the United States -- an expansion of powers previously limited to intelligence cases.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    That's the one, today.

-cw-

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    North Pole Press release:

SANTA CLAUS INDICTED FOR SPYING ON WORLD

The inhabitants of planet Earth were shocked by allegations against Kris Kringle, a/k/a Santa Claus and St. Nicholas, for espionage that affected,well, everybody.

Sources close to this news service have obtained written records that indicate Kringle has had the ability for hundreds of years to observe citiizens from all countries at any time of the day or night. In addition to his spying activities he has used this information to make large lists of those activities, two to be precise. Apparently the lists show a determination on his part judging the behavior of the global populus, those who have been in accordance with his rules of conduct...

... and those who haven't.

Those who haven't have and will cotinue to suffer embarrassment, humiliation, and worst of all, disappointment for not living up to the standards he has arbitrarily set. The World Court is going to go ahead and charge him with 2 billion counts extortion to begin with until it is determined who has been most affected.

The documentation alleges that he has known when one is sleeping and awake with a clear message to toe the line, for the sake of "goodness". "That terminology is too vague... 'goodness'? What's that supposed to mean? By whose standard?" said Ramsey Clark, taking a little time off from defending Sadaam Hussein to attend this urgent matter.

"He's asked people not to cry OR shout! How are we supposed to show our true feelings about the emotional roller coaster that is Christmas, what with the shopping, relatives that scratch themselves in inappropriate ways when they visit, and over-eating. This guy had to be stopped!" said Oprah Winfrey on her way home from Harpo studios.

Therefore, the World Court has decided to cancel Christmas until the matter is resolved so as not to inflame the issue further. "It's just better for everyone if we don't have some old guy with this kind of abject power going off on his own deciding how we should behave and for what? A day off from work?" said Clark.

Stores will be cheerfully refunding merchandise returned that were to be given as gifts although layoffs will be massive, said spokesmen for Walmart, Macy's, Target, Nordstrom's, Marshall Field's ,and others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, I don't make the stuff, I just re... Oh, wait... I did make it up.

Never mind.

ML

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Much ado about nothing!

I appauld the President, but frankly I don't give a damn. I'm tired of the endless debating and wasting of taxpayer dollars in stupid commissions that resolve nothing.

Surely, we all don't think that the government started spying on us yesterday. Most of it's done legally anyway. I used to work for a phone company, you'd be surprised how often we'd extract phone records for law enforcement agency's. That was pre 9/11, after the patriot act well you get the picture.

Of course, being in the Metro Detroit area, where we have the largest population of middle eastern nationals outside the middle east you can imagine just who's records were being pulled.

You know that it's getting bad when you look past the headlines to find a newstory to peak you interest and it reads: Jessica Simpson to get a Divorce.

God help me! :-P

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    All kidding aside, it's about time he took the gloves off and fought back. In my lifetime, I've never seen anything quite like this during a time of war. Yes, of course there are people who protest, speak out, whatever. I might have been one of them had I not had a brother who was serving in Vietnam for two tours of duty in the Air Force. I would never have dreamed of saying the things that people feel obligated, somehow, to say while my family was in harms way. But that's just me.

Directly related subject:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-12-19-nm-explosives_x.htm

How come this stuff keeps disappearing from the western states? I remember when 400 lbs of that stuff went missing from CO. two years ago.

ML

7. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Here here Manny!

Living in a military town as I now do, and performing so many gigs that are geared towards the military I have a new found reverence for our men and woman in uniform.

When I see them out about town I always make it a point to thank them for their service.

The pride or the ARMY Grunts from Ft. Benning down here is just beaming in all directions. They are so proud to serve. I asked one when I first got down here, why are you in such a hurry to possibly die? He replied, "Sir, I'm not in a hurry to die, I'm in a hurry to make a difference." This after I found out he was going back to Iraq for his 3thd tour of duty. He's the son of one of my co-workers.

God Bless em, everyone!

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA