Business cards to land some gigs!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Oct 12, 2009.

1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    I was wondering if anyone else uses business cards of themselves to land gigs? I live in what you would call "rural America". Heck, the villiage I live in is so small that we have to use the next town's name and post office, so this isnt a real "hotbed" for freelance trumpet players. I even printed and made them on my computer, and I'm gonna slap them up all over town to see if anything happens. Unfortunatly,there arent any bigger cities that are close to me.There are a couple community bands here, but their peak season is over until next summer, and there's a local jazz band that doesnt have a trumpet player, but I dont even know if they want one. I just want to play more!!!! I;d like to hear some input!!:play:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That can work if you give them to pastors and church organists. When people get married (more common in rural America) they often like an angel next to the organ.

I don't know of too many other places were business cards work. The other gigs that I do are based on luck getting the first chance, then my playing reputation.

3. Hoosier303

Hoosier303 Pianissimo User

Nov 2, 2008
    Indiana
    have you tried posting on craigslist?

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Whether or not it works in a small town depends somewhat upon the policy where it is posted. I know I could post mine on the board at the Embassy Cafe where many workers in town have breakfast and lunch ... and often my wife and I also. The last census said only 700 residents, but we are a county seat and do have a post office that serves many homes on rural routes in the county around this town. I've figured it out, cards made on a computer cost about the same as those commercially printed, and the printed ones are more impressive, and no, I've no intererst in a print shop.