Busking

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jan 2, 2012.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Hi,

Can you tell me how much can someone earn with busking. I am planning to busk in LA. Also do you need some papers and licences to do busking

thank you

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    A lot of places require permits to do busking, so I would look into getting papers, yes.
    What you earn might not be as much as you expect. Personally, I don't think you should really expect too much. Best of luck

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Best to check with local ordinances. How much you can make depends on your ability to connect with your "audience". If kids beating on 5 gallon drums can make money, you should be able to also.

4. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008

But I was planning to earn 20USD a day, and to sleep in hostel for 15USD per day for at least a year or two and than I would return to my conutry

Is that legal?

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know. $20 a day? I would get a job at McDonalds if you can. It will pay better.

6. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    McDonald's???? -but I want to play trumpet all day long

Is it possible to earn 20usd a day if you play lets say around Santa Monica or Hollywood -I know the place there are a lot of tourists there, and I know a cheap hostel for 15usd nearby

I am just interested if is it possible to make 20 usd per day while busking

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't live out there so I don't know if you could make that much money busking all day.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Busking is not a very reliable source of income. To get an idea of what the scene is like in L.A., you'd have to connect with some L.A. buskers .... I don't think you'll find too many in here. I've busked with a guitar and my best advice is to do it only for the fun or experience of it, not for the money. Having said that, I've met dedicated buskers (in Canada) who make a living during the summers .... but only a few. One guy even busked through a snow filled winter, but he was from Manitoba (think deep deep and frozen winter). His guitar won't survive that for long .....

Best of luck with that idea.

Turtle

9. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I say go for it. In my town you can get a " begger's permit " for little or nothing that allows you to ask for money. Pick a spot where you wouldn't interfere with someone's business. Take a mute.

10. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    I know from a friend that downtown chicago, he and 3 friends have a jazz quartet and they busk occasionally.... Typical days income from chicago is around $60-75 per person.... But they reallh should be in a recording studio cutting albums, not busking sowntown chicago....LOL

Also, i know chicago requires a street perfirmer's liscense, which costs $50 if i recall correctly, but is good for 365 days...