Busking

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jan 2, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Go for the "begger's permit." I was once busking with my guitar just after dusk and across the street was a guy who was just sitting on the sidewalk, asking every passerby for spare change. In between people, he was talking to himself, actually arguing with himself and screaming and cussing (he was just nuts), but then, when somebody came along, he'd straighten up and put out his hand. I was across the street singing and playing my heart out (not much traffic and quieter, better acoustics). He was raking in the dough and I hardly made a toonie. Go figure. :dontknow:

Giving people a reason to stop and give is very helpful (asking them :roll:) or playing in a very engaging manner (well doesn't cut it on the street). Kids with violins tend to make a lot of money .... people want to help out, they're going somewhere or could use help with lessons. In Canada, busking in front of the liquor stores when it's raining really gets the sympathy coins rolling out .... etc, etc.

I'm not sure the mute is a good idea because the street can be loud and you need to be heard.

Turtle

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When I was laying out on the beach in the Caribbean, some babes would drop $50 bills on my belly! Oh, sorry, I thought you said basking!

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The beach is quieter than the street .... try busking there. Surfers are pretty nice as long as you're not taking their waves .... and occasionally (in somebody's fantasy) .... some chick walks by and drops cash on your stomach.:lol:

Hey G, if that wasn't just a fantasy .... can you PM me with the name of that beach???:D

Turtle

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Orient Beach, Sint Maarten; Bathing suit optional!

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    For you old time members, we had a guy here name Rick Chartrand who claimed to make $400--$500 dollars a day busking in Windsor, Ontario.

That is until he was called out by Schilke B6 who happened to live across the river in Detroit.

Rick who also was known as Miss Piggy was busted, and had a major meltdown as he left the site.

Busking is not a way to make money.

turtlejimmy likes this.
  6. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Bring a mute if you'll be in an enclosed space like the subway. You'll likely have better luck with a group, even after splitting the money 2/3 ways, assuming there are enough people passing by - I bet people would eat it up if you played jazz duets with somebody or something like that.

I don't think this is a great idea, though. Have some sort of fall-back plan in case this doesn't work out for whatever reason.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Like McDonald's or busing (not busking) tables! :lol: