busted lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet 101, Feb 4, 2009.

1. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    it seems that everytime i get in a real practicing spirit i end up busting my lips because of something stupid (e.g. my trumpet gets hit into my lip, my lips get cracked because they are dry, etc) Anything you guys use to get a busted lip healed besides chapstick? ( i cant stand the feeling of chapstick)

2. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    Well there is ChopSaver, the feeling is different, instead of being gunky, it is smoother because it is made out of all natural ingredients. Just read some of the reviews under the ChopSaver section found in the sponsers section, it also helped some people with endurance and hitting higher notes. give it a try. hope that helped:-)

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Blistex lip balm
    Heals real cracked lips. I normally use other chapstick, but when my lips are messed up, its blistex

4. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I don't think that Chopsaver itself will help anyone hit any notes, it keeps your lips in better shape to hit those notes.
    I think chopsaver and chapstick are the way to go for dry lips. I often spend a lot of time out skiing in the powder or landing some jumps in the day and then going and playing a gig that night or the next day. As a result, my lips can get chapped very easily during the winter...which, where I live, is very long.:cool: I use chapstick a lot, and always try to protect my lips from the elements during the winter, which is often as simple as putting on some chapstick or chopsaver.

Good Luck

5. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    Yeah the Blistex works really well. Try to find a small jar of Lip Medex if you can. Should be available at your local drug store. My lips were trash for three days after getting back from the inaugural parade until I found my medex.

6. trumpet 101

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    what if you've busted your lips on the inside in front of your teeth?

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Is this because of braces or something like that?
    because then maybe wax might help...

8. trumpet 101

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    no braces, i hit my face with a mouthpiece by accident

9. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    That doesn't happen to me very often anymore. When it did happen, I just backed off a bit. I didn't practice as long I didn't do anything too strenuous. Basically I just did enough to keep my chops from going sour.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    First of all you need to start taking better care of your chops. Your post makes it seem like lip damage is a regular thing for you, so if you're sreious about your playing, then be more careful.

As for healing an already damaged lip, time and regular salt-water rinsing have been the best for me.

As a preventive measure I always have a tube of Blistex or Chapstick with me in the winter. Applying it a couple of times a day helps keep my lips in good condition.