busted lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet 101, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Once the lip is split I use Polysporin to help heal, it works pretty darn well for me.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We don't hurt often ourselves "by accident". We hurt ourselves when we are not paying attention.

You need to turn that practice spirit into an intelligent routine (that can also be fun). You need to build rests into that routine. You need to figure out rewards for reached goals. Chapstick or any other replacement AFTER you have hurt yourself is not the problem. You just need to wake up to the messages that your body is giving you, but you are presently choosing to ignore.

When we as trumpet players start taking responsibility for our lives, we have the power to change it. That is what makes the successful successful!

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi trumpet 101,
    Markie here, Just a quick question, Is your lip problem the result of some inital trauma such as someone hitting your bell while you were playing and, since the trauma, the lip breaks open when you play?
    If so, you may want to take a good long break from the trumpet until the lip heals.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

You are either very immature or not a very dedicated trumpeter. A mature person would never allow him/her self to be so careless about their lips. Likewise for dedication. It is high time for you to decide about your priorities. If trumpet playing is a valuable experience for you, you will radically alter your behaviour to protect your trumpet playing.

As a teenager, many years ago, I loved my Golden Gloves boxing, but, being punched in the face repeatedly on a daily basis was a REAL detraction from my trumpet playing. I came to realise that the future in boxing was very temporary but, music was for life. I quit Golden Gloves.

OLDLOU>>

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The best way to promote healing of a cut is to keep the area moisturized. Petroleum jelly is probably the best thing to use and is the most hypoallergenic.

The other suggestions are fine, depending on your preferences and how sensitive your skin is. If you have sensitive skin or a history of allergies, you may want to test the product on your forearm first, or talk to your doctor.

Chapstick and Blistex are fine. Medicated lip balms are fine. ChopSaver and other "natural" products are also fine. However, all of them speed up wound healing the same way -- by keeping the area moisturized. That's pretty much it. So the bottom line is personal preference.

You should take any inflated claims with a grain of salt (double C's, anti-inflammatory, etc.). Their special ingredients may have certain theoretical properties, but little-to-no clinical evidence that they work in practice. If the "natural" or "medicated" ingredients provide symptomatic relief, then that's great. But they probably won't speed up healing beyond moisturizing the wound. And these extra ingredients increase the risk of an allergic reaction or skin irritation.

Neosporin and other antibacterial ointments are also fine, but should only be used externally, so don't use them on the inner lips. There is a risk of allergic reaction, as with any antibiotic. The most recent evidence suggests they may help lower infection rates in minor wounds of healthy people. But I wonder if this would help at all on the lips, which is a hard area to keep disinfected. However, most physicians probably believe their wound-healing property is due to their petroleum base keeping the wound moisturized.

If the cut is on the inside of the lips, I would stay away from products that might harm the granulation tissue in the wound (like Listerine or hydrogen peroxide). I would probably use a salt water rise a few times a day (8 oz warm water with a teaspoon of salt).

Mike

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks Mike. It's good to have a medical professional reinforce some of the common practices that we use...

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    You do understand that you can massage your lips and should after a hard day of playing. You can also gargle with Epson salts to get electroligts and minerals back intothe area. Epsom salt is mostly magnessium so do not swallow much or it will act as a laxitive but it and table salt make a good gargle for general mouth health as they pass through the skin easily in water. You can also add some organic sulfur tot he mix not man made sulfur!!! If your lips hurt you can use counter irratation like you do with your muscle but do weaken the creams so it doesnot burn the sensitive skin on your face. You can take things like Blue Emu and gently rub the outside of your lips not the inside and do avoid the eye''s and wash your hands well. Alway test tomake sure it is not too aggresive since you can cut any thing like Bengay with regular hand lotion tomake it less strong. Avoid things like soda water or pop because these will each minerals out of the area and the body. I find warm towels sometimes help if I over do it just like the barber use's on your face or like they hand out on long international flights etc......

Ihave not tried chop save because I am a cheap skate but Ihave been haveing a real problem since I took up playing again with chapped lips. I am not older and the winter's are harder on my lips then they used to be when I wasa younger man. A lot of guy's swear chop saver is good stuf.

Last but not least be careful! My band teacher's always used to tell us to take good care of our hands and our lips to be clean and hygenic and to avoid things that would ahrm them! So be more carful when around your lips.

8. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    rowuk, i am a little careless, im 14. and thanks for the practice routine pointer, im sure it will help. and also thanks for everyones help.

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Before you take the horn out of it`s case relax you body and mind, I remember when my son was 14, his mind was going 100 miles a hour , so relax, when practicing rest as long as you play, never play to the point of exhaustion , that`s what causes the use of too much pressure which can damage your lips, practice softly , this will prevent further bruises to your lips.

10. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Along with everything else that has been said, I find that if my lips have become dry it is generally due to dehydration. Not the gasping I'm going to faint kind, but the point where your body wants to protect important organs so extremities begin to loose importance in the order of "who gets what nutrients". I bet the next time your lips are dried out, if you go urinate you will pee a darker yellow than you should, another indicator of dehydration. Remember to drink 8-12 8oz glasses of water a day... more if you are active. This, of course, is my experience and doesn't take into account things like wind or sun burn and of course getting smacked in the face. By the way, Diet soda and fruit juice.... don't count on the water thing.... ;)

I hope you lips heal and you begin to feel better, try to take it easy on practicing until you are 100%. Practicing while injured will only delay your healing process.