Busted Weekend

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Tootsall, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Sob.... there I was... registration all paid up. My mother was expecting my arrival for dinner tonight before I had to go over to the venue. I was all prepared for a weekend of adult concert band workshop.

On the way home at noon (I needed to depart early) I noticed a strange smell in my car (no... it wasn't me). After a couple of more miles I saw a whisp of smoke coming up from the steering column cover just where it protrudes from under the dash. Having had some experience with a leaky oil pan cover I decided that I'd just make sure I wasn't about to put the engine compartment up in flames and pulled over (close to a telephone!)

Nope, nothing unusual under the hood. Hop back in the car and flip the key... Nothing... Nada... Zilch. Gauges didn't even wiggle. *sigh* Must have shorted some wires in the steering column. Make a phone call or two and get a tow truck on the way. Two hours later and I'm home cancelling dinner with Mom. The dealership SAYS they might get the ignition switch replaced today but certainly by Monday. Too late for a 4 hour drive to the workshop.

Call my wife, let her know. "GOOD" she says. Apparently there is heavy fog and freezing rain up where I was headed. "Divine intervention"?

Ugh... now I have no excuse not to grind through my band folder a dozen times.

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Divine intervention? Probably. Your band director knows how to pray so that you will stay home and practice! :play: :think:

Jim

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    mmm... or how my mother cooks!

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Arrgg... The dealership just phoned. Previous owner had a remote start installed and subsequently removed (improperly). Electrics shorted out back to the switch and they have to replace switch AND chunk of wiring harness! That means they have a ton of labour to get at the wiring. $550 and no car until Monday mid-day. *sniffle*.

Some days you can't win for losing.