But Can She Play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Jul 20, 2012.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    As a female I can relate to the sexist words that many people have to say when it comes to women playing instruments that only males are said to play and succeed in playing. Check out this doc currently in production at www.butcansheplay.com.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I can relate, but only from a distance .... I don't hear or feel so much of that bad energy around here regarding women playing so called "male" instruments. Nor have I experienced much of it growing up on the west coast. I began playing drums in high school because my friend Heidi Hansen played a kit. I had always wanted to play them, and when I found out SHE did, I got a kit and took some lessons.

Sad if you have to run into that. Women are every bit as capable as men on any instrument. Still, you don't meet a lot of women drummers or trumpeters or harmonica players. That's just wrong, IMO. It's shifting, I think .... Look at Esperanza Spalding, on upright bass, winning a Grammy, or Alison Balsom on trumpet in the UK, winning all sorts of awards. I say, Go Girls!!! :thumbsup:

Turtle

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Leisl Whittaker, Jazz Ambassadors, US Army. `nuff said! One of the best alto players I played with in college was Karolyn Kafer... killer!

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    That film's a great idea. I wish them success. Hopefully it'll get some exposure, God willing public TV survives.
    I've shared the stage with some really fine women jazz instrumentalists. Anyone underestimating one just by looking at her is likely to get smoked before he knows what hit him.
    Two of my favourites are trumpeter Ingrid Jensen and saxophonist Tineke Postma, although there are tons more of their contemporaries who are superb.
    Thanks for bringing this project to our attention.

5. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    You are welcome and I had to share it because I know what it means to hear from family members the negative stuff that can be said about any young lady or woman wanting to learn trumpet. Also as someone who's starting to feel passionate about Jazz the same way I feel about Hip Hop I hope to be one of many practitioners of the art form who can hopefully share a unique and refreshing perspective.

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
  7. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    It is just plain sexist to say that women can't play a certain instrument. It can also be said the reverse is true. I just don't believe musical instruments care what gender you are.

8. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Gender should never be the issue, only what comes out of the business end of the instrument. Imagine how hard it was for people like Marion McPartland, Toshiko Akiyoshi and Carla Bley to name a few.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Yeah, but it's amazing how stupidly into the modern era this has come. Not jazz, but the wonderful clarinetist Sabine Meyer was supported by none other than legendary conductor Herbert von Karajan to join the Berlin Philharmonic and she got nothing but grief from the good ole boys club until she finally was driven out. Trumpeter Carole Dawn Reinhart made a great international career, primarily in Europe and living primarily in Austria, she's had her problems. She's an unreal player and for you trumpet players who are awed by the Tines and the Alisons, you check out the Carole. ;-) There are other women with problems in the European orchestral scene. The world is full of petty p*ss ants. You just can't get around it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    HEY Dudette (ie bamajazzlady) you should come to NY and sit in on our community band ---- they rock. WE got women (and men of course) in every instrument category -- from trumpet, to baritone, to trombones ---- AND THEY ROCK!!!!

actually -- (we had some cataclysmic health events among the 70+ year old trombone players --- all MEN (4 of them), were taken out for the season with health problems) -- so our community band borrowed a REPLACEMENT team -- ALL 3 ARE WOMEN ----YES, DUDETTE --- 3 women in the last concert, all in the trombone section ------ and THEY ROCKED THE HOUSE ------ one of them "Sarah" told me -- ((as I am a beginning trombone player, but play trumpet in the concerts)) as I asked her HOW DO YOU GET SUCH GREAT SOUND OUT OF THE TROMBONE????
    SHE COMMENTED "PLAY BOLD, PLAY LOUD, AND BREATH DEEPLY ---- PEOPLE LOVE LOUD TROMBONES" and look, EVEN A TRUMPET PLAYER NOTICED!!!!!!
    ROFL ROFL ROFL

I mean can you imagine the "attitude" that chick had ---"even you a trumpet player noticed" -----