But Can She Play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Ingrid Jensen, Kiku Collins, Cindy Bradley.... here are a few more to listen to.

2. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    There are about 60 professional female trumpet players listed here - Female Trumpet Players featured at Trumpet Players Directory ... and many many more who either use a MySpace or Facebook page ... or ... who do not have a website. Alison Balsom; Tine Thing Helseth; Cindy Bradley; Liesl Whitaker; Ingrid Jensen; Anne King ad nauseum

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Of course, you couldn't call singing a male dominated instrument ..... But, for jazz, my favorite and IMO the best jazz singer was a female, and a highly influential one, too. Compared to women, men are practically nonexistent in jazz, as singers. Ooooh, I'm probably going to get flamed for saying that ..... Yes, there was Frank. But she was beter IMO.

Turtle

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Ella?

(As an aside, and not to hijack the thread - I like Kurt Elling. Ditto Jon Hendricks, Leon Thomas, early Nat King Cole and Mose Allison. That's not a lot. And I've always been a bit conflicted about Sinatra.)

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Haha ..... No, not Ella, though I like her too.

I've always liked Frank Sinatra, even as a teenager, long before I ever got interested in jazz. My other favorite male jazz singer is Louis Armstrong.

Turtle

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012