Butane torchs for brazing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by felix c, Apr 19, 2005.

1. felix c

felix c Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Puerto Rico
  2. JMesh

JMesh New Friend

Mar 23, 2005
    I'll make this quite simple: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! This is not a good idea unless you are a technician, and even if I was, I wouldn't go at my horn with that! I would leave it to a proper tool, such as a smaller soldering tool. If you are not trained, I would recommend that you bring it to a professional. If you are, use something more gentle on the instrument, like a small soldering iron, not a big tool.

3. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    :dontknow: I have a similar one that seems to work fine for the stuff I do.
    Alot of people seem to have a problem with others who wish to learn how to repair their own horn. Mine has enough adjustability to be able to solder over lacquer without burning it off, so I can't see a problem with it. But I am no tech either, just someone trying to learn.

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I am not a trained tech either, and I would never consider working on one of my own pro horns or anybody elses (until Im trained, which I plan to be) but I do like to fool around with frankenhorn projects of my own, I use a propane torch with one of many tips and sometimes a flex hose with the tank in a vice depending on a project. that torch there cant be much worse than my setup.

5. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Felix:
    I haven't used this particular torch, but I've seen many similar torches. It will probably work fine. If you haven't soldered on a brass instrument before, it would probably be a good idea to get someone who has to show you how. There is a knack to soldering things back together without making a mess.

I don't know what stores you have available to you, but I purchased a small butane torch with a butane refill for much less than $30 from Lowes. It doesn't get hot enough to braze, but it is perfect for soldering brass instruments.

6. felix c

felix c Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    Dear Friends;
    Thanks for your opinions. Im Learning and I have some scraping parts to practice. So I dont hurt any horn until I have the confidence of good Job. The reason of this small torch its becase it tell that does not burn the part, and the 2400 degress of capacity. The use will be limited to 2-3 solders a month. So keep an expensive equipmet will be a large expense. Think in solder tubes of tunning slides. I have a friend (pro-reapairman) thta will teach me. Thanks and Blessings

7. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    I have a couple -- picked them up from Williams-Sonoma Co. (gourmet cooking products).
    I use them mostly for sax and clarinet pad replacement. They can be used for brazing/soldering, but you need to practice until you can control the flame temperature.

Robert Rowe