Buying a flugelhorn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Oct 3, 2014.

1. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    Is there any point in buying one?
    For my age that is, I am 16 (17 in 3 weeks) and have been debating buying a flugelhorn. No real reason; I just want one haha. If I did I'm sure I could get a flugel solo and whip it out and band to play but apart from that is there much point?
    Does playing the flugelhorn have any (positive) transerferable effects for trumpet? (Better tone?)
    How old were you when you bought your first flugelhorns?
    Thanks!

-Jack

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I was 61:roll::lol:

I'd always wanted one since Chuck Mangione was popular in the '70's. It's a different animal compared to trumpet, have to change your skill set some, but is rewarding to play. I've used mine at church, in a dance/show band,and a concert band. Whereever I play it rides along just in case:oops:

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Most trumpeters consider a flugelhorn as a distant secondary instrument for the odd time it might be needed...though a few specialize in it and have their visible niche.
    The popular old adage goes something like this:
    your trumpet is your wife and your flugelhorn your mistress...
    Shucks, forgot exactly how it went....ah well, someone will remember.
    Intonation issues make a flugelhorn more challenging to play well.
    Remember also there are at least two basic genres of flugelhorn (and they are very different)...the early style small bore and the later big bore. I prefer the early as it is more intimate but be careful as it can be overblown.
    So, do you Have to have a flugelhorn? No, not usually unless you specialize in it. Is it good to have one? You bet. I Love the sound. Besides, when you go up to a trumpet player you can confidently tell him that yours is bigger than his...and watch him turn red.

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Oops..sixteen...I was a touch too colorful. Apologies.

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    There is no point in buying one, unless you can afford a really good one. Lesser ones are a pain to play, good ones are a joy.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you have to ask the question, then it is already answered.

If you don't have a use for it, then why not buy something else that you do have use for? Money in my world does not grow on trees and I have no possibility to waste money on things that I am not serious about.

Flugelhorns do not promote better habits any more than trumpets do. Only accepting your best is a question of character, not hardware.

My hunch is you need the horn to "whip out in band rehearsal" because you think that you will be cooler. Well I can tell you, to the people that count, you will not be better, more desirable or anything else. Hardware does not change that.

Each instrument has a soul. When we can understand what that is, when we can let our "soul" loose with more abandon because we have a new color on our palate, then we have no choice - but then we are not whipping out anything.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I played in churches and combos when I was younger so I got one at 18.

I now (30 years later) play in big bands so I use it there as well.

Even though I don't play it frequently I use it exponentially more than I use my piccolo.

Largely depends on the type of music you play.

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    It's a necessity for doubling in a big band.

9. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    If you have a job and make enough money to pay for it, do it if you want. If you need someone else to buy it for you or you have to borrow money for it, don't get it. And think about growing up and not ending everything with a laugh. Juvenile. Carry on.

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I think that was an unnecessarily harsh response to a youngster developing an interest in a common passion. Sure he will mature, but we'd all prefer he not be turned off because we come off sounding like crusty curmudgeons.