Buying a flugelhorn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    I agree ,and I don't.

Do you need a Flugel?,,, probably not at this stage of your playing .

Should you get one ? If you have the money and can find a nice one ?,,,,sure.

I applaud your curiosity ,looking for different horns is a lot of fun , and as Rowuk says we can add another dimension to our playing ,I think you should start trying out different Flugel's when you get the chance , When you have played a few, then you can make a choice based on sound and playability ,not cool factor .

Take your time and listen very carefully to yourself ,If you can get someone who has a flugel to let you play it for a few weeks even better !

I might be wrong here? ,, but I haven't noticed anything that will hurt your trumpet playing if you play flugel .

In my mind anything that helps you WANT TO play is good .

You may want to wait until you are better on trumpet before getting one ? I don't know how long you have been playing but ,only you can judge .

Enjoy the Journey . :D:play:

Dean_0

RRVancil and barliman2001 like this.
  2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    > Is there any point in buying one? ... No real reason; I just want one ....

That's as good a reason as any. And this was essentially my reason. I just wanted one.

> If I did I'm sure I could get a flugel solo and whip it out and band to play but apart from that is there much point?

That's one good option. In high school and college, I did most of my jazz band solos on the flugelhorn. In addition, I did most of my jazz combo playing on the flugelhorn. I also did a lot of church solos and brass choir/ensemble work with my flugelhorn.

> Does playing the flugelhorn have any (positive) transerferable effects for trumpet? (Better tone?)

If you're going to be good on the flugelhorn (and play in-tune), you'll need to devote regular practice to it. I don't think this hurts my trumpet playing. But it takes some practice time away from my trumpet.

> How old were you when you bought your first flugelhorns?

I purchased my flugelhorn at age 17 back in the late 70's.

Mike

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Flugelhorn or no - what a superfluous question. If you already are asking the question, you will probably have a "yes" answer already lurking in your mind. At your age, though, I should be wary of investing too much in a flugel. You never know how you develop.
    I made the same mistake with my first piccolo - bought a 1967 Selmer when I was hardly two years into trumpet playing. I just wanted it. But I had no use for it and it made me mad, not responding as I wanted it to be. In the end, I sold it at huge loss - only to buy a 1969 Selmer Picc, ten years later, when I was almost ready for it. But that is just sitting in the corner gathering dust - since I found a Selmer G which is the one I really use on anything Baroque. And the two other piccs I have acquired over the years are brushed off once or twice a year.

It might be similar with a flugel for you. So I suggest you get yourself a good cheapo - yes, there are such things! I carried the Thomann Black Jazz flugel (Thomann Black Jazz Bb- Flugelhorn - Thomann UK) as a spare for many gigs (you know, subbing in unknown bands where there might be nice flugel parts, but players without a flugel...). Nice tone, good intonation, VERY COOL LOOKS. And if you keep the valves well-oiled, they will serve you quite a few years. Only don't let them dry out... Sold it only two weeks ago to a big band friend who totally fell in love with it.
    Or, if you want to burn more money, the Jupiter 846 is a good choice even for professionals. But with that one, you are investing more than three times the money than in the Thomann Black Jazz (which is more than you need at this stage).

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Another good Cheapo would be the Odyssey Premier Flugel designed by Peter Pollard. I have played one as a test and really liked it, I mean really liked it and it will be my next save up addition. I have also heard them played by some pretty good brass bands and they do sound right, like a proper flugel not a sort of warm imitation trumpet.

Odyssey Premiere Bb Flugelhorn Outfit with Case

I would add that while it is Chinese it is not an FSO it is a quality instrument imported by a trusted company to the specs of a well respected designer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Cantabile-FH-100-Flugelhorn-Mouthpiece/dp/B000UX0U8E

Or go really cool with that. I can't speak from my own experience but I know Barliman was surprised by the quality when he purchase i think it was a Picc in an emergency

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Thanks, Andy, for giving me the laurels regarding the Classic Cantabile picc. I still have it, and intend to keep it as a spare. As regards the Flugel -have you looked closely and seen that that is a rotary Flugel? Which you can't really use anywhere except in German and Austrian wind bands?

6. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    What kind of horn do you have now? Would it be better to buy a good trumpet than a flugel, or do you already have a good "pro" trumpet. My advice may be flawed, as I have not played a fluglel. :-(

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I know Barliman I was slightly yanking Jack's chain about wanting something cool to play (I'm not sure he needs a flugel but if he wants something cool and different.)

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How often you play your Flugel is up to you and the venue. I play mine every week at church. Nobody told me I couldn't, so I do. There is definitely a positive reaction. One guy mentioned that is rocked the house!

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, he didn't end everything with a laugh. He just inserted one "haha" at the point in the post where he wanted to make sure that the rest of us knew that he wasn't taking himself or his quest for a flugel too seriously.

Also, he IS a juvenile. He's supposed to keep things light and look for guidance from mature people...like you perhaps?

Maybe you need to lighten up a bit

10. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    I gave him guidance. Note the part about money. And 17 years old is a year from being considered an adult. If he was 15 or younger, I might have said something different. I spent some time with a child psychiatrist recently asking questions about helping teens in the 15-17 age group. Her opinion is that they need to learn adult stuff including consequences and responsibility. I think that at this age, it's time to get a job, though it be only part time. Working teaches you that the common ways of relating to others learned from dealing with other youngsters will not work. Speech patterns where everything ends in a laugh, the word "like" precedes every sentence and language is peppered with textisms will not be considered acceptable. Yes I know he didn't do all of these things. But I did like the term crusty curmudgeon. And dealing with crusty curmudgeons is part of life. ;-)