Buying a flugelhorn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Oct 3, 2014.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    58. You might ask yourself have you had opportunities to play one up to now and couldn't because you didn't have one. Imagine some of the guys who play steady gigs may have a need for one. In two years I have only had one piece that called for flugel- and then for about 8 bars. My thought is at your age you probably won't have much opportunity. Wanting one and needing one are two different reasons- though there is nothing wrong with wanting one.

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Join a Brass Band on flugel and you can play it all the time.

3. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    I know what you mean! However, I meant it in a 'should the Situation arise' way :) And that was my plan! I was going to buy one with either birthday money or I may be getting a job soon!

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Jack, If you happen across a Belgian Van Engelen flugelhorn (regardless of condition) I need parts and they just are not available this side of the pond. I'd appreciate a line.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There is kind of an order in picking up new horns. For the classical player it is Bb, C, piccolo, cornet, fluegelhorn, D/Eb F/G....

For the jazz player it is Bb, fluegelhorn, cornet and maybe piccolo.

In the end, the choice is up to you, JackTheMusician.

6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    If you like the sound of the flugelhorn, and you can afford one good enough to be able to play in a group, get one. If you play in a big band or jazz ensemble, the opportunities to play will crop up, and having a flugelhorn will put you in a position to be considered for the part.

As for a positive effect, you will have the experience of being a versatile, skilled performer. Skill level is up to you.

I bought my first flugelhorn at around age 32, an Olds L-12. It suited my needs and budget at the time. Intonation was tolerable, but I sold it to get the Yamaha YFL-731 I have today, which has the best intonation of any horn I've played so far. It wasn't inexpensive, however, and sometimes I think I might have been OK just keeping the Olds.

7. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    I like that flugelhorn! Haha.

8. Ken J

Ken J Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2013
    Middlefield CT
    I never considered a Flugelhorn as second to the trumpet
    We have a Christmas concert coming up and half of the scores are played with the flugelhorn.
    It's all in the sound that fits best

9. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    And for the typical British brass band player it's a Bb cornet with Besson written on it, then... No, that's about it.

10. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    OP, go on Flea Bay and see what's going. You might grab a bargain! Just steer clear of anything from India or China with 'professional' or 'high quality' or any other super-duper words in the description or you'll probably end up with a pile of crap and have to pay high postage costs + customs fees + Royal Mail's scam 'handling fee' for the privilege.

Oh, yeah, and once you get your flugelhorn, you'll obsess over mouthpieces like never before! It'll bug the hell out of you and drain your piggy bank trying to get that 'sound' you want. Deeper, 'fatter', more mellow...oh, but now you've lost flexibility and the high notes are more difficult so it's another search for that magical piece...oh, but now the sound isn't right. A flugelhorn is the first step on the path to madness.

I still haven't found the right mouthpiece and I've got 5 at home and one at the post office (from Flea Bay) I can't be bothered going to pick up yet.