Buying a flugelhorn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Oct 3, 2014.

1. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Mutes for your new flugel?

I have a set of 3 mutes.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    If you are considering (or even want to for that matter) going into jazz/big band, and or performing in a lot of pit orchestra/ doing theater type work, then I would say go for it. Flugel in these environments is quite often a necessity especially for the 2nd trumpet in a big band. If you are seriously just buying a flugel for the heck of it, I wouldn't recommend it. The flugel has a very different tone quality and overall sound than a trumpet, so it will sound somewhat strange with everyone in your section on trumpet and you on flugel playing what they are on trumpet. Good luck which every way you decide to go!

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Lots of interesting responses - I like Barliman's the best because it hits the nail on the head and compares to my own experiences, but the reality is, often times what a person obtains and what they actually will need or find a use for are two completely different things.

In my own experiences, I have had a lot of different horns. A few Bbs, a C trumpet, a pic, a flugel, and I was *this* close once to buying a D/Eb.

I won't really go into my military band experiences - I had a flugel there, and I had need of one, but that was when playing was my job. I'll stick instead to the freelance playing I've done and my experiences there.

At one point I wound up selling every horn I had to put together cash for a single, brand-new, hand-picked Bb, and that stood me in good stead for quite a while until I started gigging with a big band. At that point the gig forced the issue - when I first started playing with the group I was the only person who didn't have their own flugel, so I made do for about 2 gigs with a bucket mute on the tunes where flugel was used until I could get one.

I was still playing with the big band when I started up with the wedding/party band, and it was a similar thing - I had a need, so I always had a flugel. Then I was no longer in the party band, so I sold it (and almost sold my Bb - I thought I was going to be done playing) and used the cash for another project. Then I wound up back in the same party band and had a need for a flugel again, so I bought another one. Unfortunately I didn't have the cash on hand for a new Kanstul 925 like I'd had, but I bought an Austin Custom Brass ACB Doubler. It's not the horn the Kanstul is, but it's well worth the price and does a good enough job for no more than it's used.

So to sum it up, there are about 3 reasons to get a flugel:

1. If you want one, have the money, and you like the novelty of playing it in the practice room on occasion and having it spend most of the time in the case, or
    2. If you have a gig where a flugel comes in handy for doubling
    3. If you have a jazz combo gig where flugel will be a primary instrument

In the case of 1 & 2, you don't have to spend a lot of money. In the case of #3, I'd invest in a nice instrument - an Adams, Kanstul 925, Kanstul 1525, Conn Vintage One Flugel - something like that

4. Charles652011

Charles652011 New Friend

Sep 26, 2010
    Indiana, USA

I got one because I was sure I wanted one. I like the flugelhorn sounds of Freddy Hubbard, Clark Terry and Chuck Mangione. Got my first trumpet at age 64, first cornet at age 66, and first flugelhorn at 67. Looking forward to my first euphonium next year at age 69.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    How about if your wife says she likes the sound of a flugel horn and would prefer you play one of those in the church rather than the Bb trumpet (even if that trumpet is a Committee played softly)? Is that another valid reason perhaps?

--bumblebee

6. RonD

RonD Pianissimo User

Jun 22, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    bumblebee, I think you already know the answer. So,which flugel did you get? ;)

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'm still looking, but to be honest where I am there are not many to try. I tried an Adams last year in Los Angeles which was a bit trumpety for my liking, and a Yamaha 631 which was more like what I wanted earlier this year. But I think I need to keep looking. I only have one flugelhorn mouthpiece, a Bach, and I'm not 100% sure that's the best one for me either, so that's another thing to look out for.

Also, the Committee is one reason I don't have a flugelhorn, as I used up all (and a bit more) of any horn budget I had on that when I was supposed to be looking out for a flugelhorn at the time.

--bumblebee

8. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    If you do not really need a flugel don't buy one. Listen to Rowuk. The flugel has a soul just like every musical instrument.
    The flugel can be frustrating when not properly understood and in that case it can harm your trumpet playing. I had a Jupiter 846 and an Adams F1 and high expectations.
    Soon I started to hate them, sold both and never regretted it.
    A lot of people buy a flugel because they are not able to get the wanted sound out of a trumpet and they think that the flugel will give them the key to the attention of the ladies.
    In fact you are at risk of becoming a liar on your instrument.

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Franklin, no flugelhorn ever harmed a person's trumpet playing. It might change the sound quality a bit towards the soft and mellow, but that need not be a disadvantege. it only is if you are a die-hard fanatic of a brash, military trumpet sound. but that is something that tends to become outmoded. Damage to one's trumpet playing can only occur if the flugelhorn takes so much time that youndon't practice on trumpet any more - or if the trumpet and flugel mouthpieces are too far apart in character.

10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Biggest flugel sound you can get is from the Courtois 154 R. Biggest bell, biggest bore, yet very good intonation-wise, wonderful valves, and not tooo expensive (about half of an Adams)